cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fernbanker2
Level 7

BT supplied Net Protect plus problems - Real time scanning not working - uninstalled and now will not reinstall any of the Netprotect plus componenets

Dell Inspiron 9400 4 years old 1G RAM

XP 32 bit SP3

BT provided virus software running fine until (about) October 2010 - probably began giving trouble after an update but no-one who uses the computer can recall exactly when it started to fail.

From that date there was always a message saying Real Time Scanning was "off" and although it could be manually switched on it would go "off" again after a few seconds only.

Decided to try to put this right over the Christmas period, consulted various forums which suggested that the thing to do was to uninstall and then reinstall.

Uninstall went OK, but the computer will download the various components and try to install them, followed by a message that none of the features could be installed and suggesting a re-try as the solution. I have done this 4 times with no success.

I used the clean up tool form the McAfee website after one of the attempts failed - it seemed to uninstall a number of things. Next attempt did the same thing.

BT helpers have (remotely) done this twice also, and also run other "patches" but have been unable to get it to install after apparently downloading correctly. They have given up and suggest asking a computer technician for help.

Could you offer advice please?

As with others who have had trouble this has taken several hours, with several hours to BT so far.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: BT supplied Net Protect plus problems - Real time scanning not working - uninstalled and now will not reinstall any of the Netprotect plus componenets

Hi,

I understand that you have spent a lot of time and enegy on this regards.Please provide us with some of the below information so that we could help you proceed with this.

Could you please let us know what is the exact error that you receive during installation. Please try to attach a screenshot that would give more clarity to the issue.

Do you have any other security software installed / Did you have previously ?

How old is the computer ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Fernbanker2
Level 7

Re: BT supplied Net Protect plus problems - Real time scanning not working - uninstalled and now will not reinstall any of the Netprotect plus componenets

Hi Dinesh,

The error is a screen message to say that nothing has been installed, this occurs after I have (apparently correctly) downloaded the software and the allowed it to self install.

I have downloaded this again and it has once again done the same thing - screen shot attached.

I had downloaded Malwarebytes when I couldn't get Netprotect plus installed, and then run this to look for viruses but none were found. It was removed by a BT engineer.

He had also found some files left from a Norton antivirus system which he told me BT used to use, he removed these also. As far as I know there is no antivirus software on the computer at present. I have not used this (except for trying to download the software we are discussing since I found I could not get the Net Protect plus onto the computer, and so I am using a different computer to correspond with you.

It does have Windows security centre software, but as I understand this has no antivirus capability (but does have a firewall - could this be relevant?)

I cannot identify how old the computer is, it is about 5 or 6 years old (possibly slightly older - is there anywhere on the computer that it would show when it was first used?)

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi there,

Please try the below steps and keep me posted on the outcome;

Create a new user account in windows (with adminstative rights)

Run the MCPR removal tool from Useful links at the top of this page
Run the McPreinstall tool from
here

Login to your BT account and retry downloading the programs.

If you still happen to encounter the same program, click on Start - Click on Run -  In the open prompt type - CHKDSK (its the check disk command whicjh will help us identify if the Operating system files have any issues or any errors with regards to abad sector)

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
harveyb
Level 7

Hi Fernbanker2

Did you resolve this issue as I have the same problem.

Harvey

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi Fernbanker2,

I have sent you an email requesting for more information to setup a call back, please have that replied so that we could get this fixed for you.

@Harvey,

post the call with fernbanker2, we will be updating you with more steps that would help you resolve the issue.

Regards,

0 Kudos