cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

when try to remove VSE 8.8 p7 I reveice an error

when I try to remove VSE 8.8 P7, I receive this message, "Error 2762. Cannot write script record. Transaction not Started." how can solved it? I need to update the VSE.
5 Replies

Re: when try to remove VSE 8.8 p7 I reveice an error

I try to use the command line to remove or to control panel, but always same result,

try to install only patch 8, but it's not possible

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 6

If uninstallation fails through normal methods (via ePO uninstall task, local uninstallation via control panal or msi string) then you can use our EPR tool which is available to you through the products download page after providing your Grant Number. You will find it under "Utilities & Connectors"

Kindly review this KB for further information: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90895

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

sorry, but with the tool, same result, error again

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Strange! Can't say I've seen this error before, maybe someone else has?

Did you run the tool via GUI or CMD? If you haven't tried via CMD launched as an administrator, attempt this: McAfeeEndpointProductRemoval.exe --accepteula --ALL

Do you get the same error if you try to upgrade the software using the patch update (not the full installer) aswell?

If it's just this one system, you could do a manual clean up:

You will most likely need to perform these steps in safe mode:

* Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and delete or rename the service
* Navigate within your registry to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove the entry for the service

You may at this time want to check for any other services which haven't been removed. You will find all in the same location and they will begin with "mfe". Others are: mcshield, mctaskmanager and masvc

You will further need to check if the file system has any leftovers, you can check the following locations:

C:/Windows/Temp/McAfeeLogs

%Temp%/McAfeeLogs

%ProgramData%/McAfee

C:/Program Files/McAfee

C:/Program Files/Common Files/McAfee

C:/Program Files (86)/McAfee

C:/Program Files (86)/Common Files/McAfee

IMPORTANT:

This information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.

Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.

If you are uncertain which mfe*.sys files belong to McAfee, view the Company Name column in Explorer or the Details tab in the file Properties.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

@User95227664 @chealey

The error code is unknown to us (McAfee).  Meaning, I cannot locate any information for this specific code, as it pertains directly to McAfee software.  The error code is a standard MSI installer error, and it would appear it is directly related to scripting of some sort.

If for any reason it is being executed through means of a script, the next best step would be to perform a manual, local execution by running the EPR tool as admin.  If that has been attempted and the same message appears, we would need to log a support case and gather a MER, to dig into the installer/execution actions and determine a better focus for troubleshooting.

Of course, as Cara mentioned, a manual removal can also be attempted, and specifically for versions of VSE after 8.8 patch 4, it becomes increasingly difficult to do the manual removal.  Still possible, but often we have to do this within safe mode without networking, in order to obtain access to the components that need to be removed.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community