cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
booster
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

"Virus scan on-access scan is disabled" - ????

I am running VSE8i, patch 10 with Protection Pilot.
I've noticed that a few pcs started having their on-access scanner disabled.
My own pc is exhibiting this issue. The "Network Associates McShield" service enters a paused state when this occurs. I looked at the logs and in the system event log there are entries stating "The Network Associates McShield service was successfully sent a pause control.", Event ID: 7035.
I start the service manually and it gets paused after a few minutes each time.
Anyone have any ideas about this?
13 Replies

RE: "Virus scan on-access scan is disabled" - ????

Check the policies in protection pilot for the OAS. It may be set to disabled.
Highlighted
booster
Level 7
Message 3 of 14

I've checked, and it's not.
I noticed that it happens for pcs that have not been on the network for a while. I've been away for a week, and first day I come back this happens. I've noticet the same issue woth several other pcs.

You may need to re-install the agent on these PCs. They could be enforcing old policies.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 14

I have seen this very same problem on our email server. The only difference from the above issue is that I am using ePO 3.5 patch 3 and our email server is on the network 24/7.

Anyone with any ideas?
booster
Level 7
Message 6 of 14

I've set Protection Pilot to reinstall the agent, no dice. I am not about to manually go reinstalling VSE8i on each pc that has the problem. It's just beyond my comprehension, how bad this version is turning out to be!
This McAfee product is becoming a complete disaster.
The longer I've been using it, the more problems I am experiencing.
I can't believe they would release a product that has so many flaws.
And I thought VS45 was bad, this crap takes the cake!
My LAN isn't even that big, I'd hate to see it rolled out in a big office environment.
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 14

Thankfully I have only seen this on our email server. I have over 3,000 machines in ePO at 15 locations. I hope this trend does not spread.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue? I am piloting ePO 3.5x and VScan 8.0 to some test servers and workstations. I have been looking into the problem of the on access scanners on some of the servers being disabled - the service is in a paused state. I thought it was just on a couple - it is on 12 of the 13 servers that i have it on. I have not seen this on any of the workstations. The servers are 2000/2003 and the workstations are 2000 pro. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim
munin
Level 7
Message 9 of 14

I ran into this, and it was a strange policy on my ePO server. There is an option for General Settings for VSE that says "enable on-access scanner at policy enforcement" or something like that.

Well, apparently with it unchecked, it does the opposite, and DISABLES the on access scanner...

I prefer the McAfee products, but man, sometimes their logic makes my brain hurt!

Re: RE: "Virus scan on-access scan is disabled" - ????

That was definately a LAMER option! WOW!

Thanks for the tip Boomer!

Message was edited by: patrickburwell on 4/27/10 4:23:43 PM GMT-05:00