Did you mean: 
Highlighted
piosk
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 84

problem after upgrading VSE8.8 to patch 4

I just had few calls from users.

McAfee gives message about buffer overload while opening .pdf files generated by scanner

log enteries in polish:

2014-02-20 10:54:54 Zablokowane przez ochronę przed przepełnieniem buforu  xxx\xxxxxxxxx  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe:NTDLL.KiUserExceptionDispatcher::81000 Przepełnienie buforu: pamięć

in my breaken translation it would be

2014-02-20 10:54:54 Blocked by Buffer Overload Protection    xxx\xxxxxxxxx C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe:NTDLL.KiUserExceptionDispatcher::81000 Overloaded module: Memory

is it sth I should care of? or is it just unwanted warning ?

83 Replies

Re: problem after upgrading VSE8.8 to patch 4

I think there could well be an issue with Patch 4!

I pushed it to a client yesterday and the phones lit up. Many applications reporting Buffer Overflow including Excel, Outlook, Adobe etc!

ePO has gone nuts with all the events coming back!

I have removed Patch 4 from the repository and turned off Buffer overflow protection until a new patch 4 is released. I wouldnt normally mind but every McAfee product or update that comes out at the moment seems to cause more problems than it resolves!

i81u812
Level 7
Message 3 of 84

Im having the same issue with WInXP sp3  workstations running MS Word 2000, Microsoft Access 2000 and Access 97

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office97\Office\MSACCESS.EXE:NTDLL.KiUserExceptionDispatcher::1adbe8

Looking into it now.

We are having the same Problem with our Windows 7 machines and MS Access 2007 (VSE 8.8 Patch 4).

i81u812
Level 7
Message 5 of 84

I have a case open with McAfee now. I sent them my MER and ETL trace log. As soon as I get more info I will post the update. 

In testing, Ive updated Winxp, office2k and Office97 (yes we use access97 DBs) with all patches and the problem persist. I can launch the access.exe but I can not open the majority of our Access databases. I turned off BOP for all devices until this problem gets resolved. 

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 84

What we're really looking for here is a VM that reproduces the issue.

We've seen other ETLTrace data already, and it's not as helpful as we need. It has been quite the challenge too getting a VM from someone who's able to reproduce the symptom, but we'll keep trying.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Yes, there is definitely an issue.  Our phone lines blew up after our test group received Patch 4.  I did what was suggested here and stopped Patch 4 from going out and also disabled BO protection for the time being.  I know I could've just turned off the warning the users see or put it in warn mode, but didnt want to flood the logs.

To add to this, it is only affecting our XP machines, which, unfortunately, number in the few hundreds still.

StefanT
Level 9
Message 9 of 84

I'm aware of one very large corporation who now has broken every machine they have worldwide with this patch.

I would expect there to be one clear desk at McAfee this morning along with an empty space in the car park.

Stef

We deployed patch 4 on our enviroment, with all the errors and buffer overflow messages. My question: How to disable/uninstall patch 4, or how to enforce to disable the bufferoverlow?

Nick

Message was edited by: nicklut on 2/21/14 7:32:03 AM CST
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community