cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: mfehidk.sys Blue Screen during Win7 shutdown with VSE 8.8.0.1247

Hi Ron,

a complete re-installation and deleting of McAfee didn't sole that problem. I analyzed the crash minidump file and found the following red marked processes:

Minidump.jpg

So we are analyzing. I also found some crash information regarding HpqKbFiltr.sys in the WEB. That is a very old source file from 2009. May be that is the reoson for crashing?

Bst regards

Janni

Highlighted

On a few clients I've this problem too. But in my case BSOD appears at PC's startup. At the moment where you can see the icon of Windows 7.

Yours,

Joerg

Highlighted

Hi guys,

The quickest and best way to resolve this issue is to get a full or kernel dump when reproducing the issue to be analyzed by McAfee support. They may give you the solution or may be they need to escalate the case to a higher tier to be investigated.

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Highlighted

Are you using patch 4? We had similar issues with a server hanging after several strange scan failures. It would simply crash VSE when scanning a basic autorun.inf file. After VSE had restarted a number of times, the server would hang. I was told that P4 has issues. We reverted to P2 and all was fine.

Highlighted

I know it may sound strange but also check your policies for VSE.  If you are not using Low-Risk process exclusions and you haven't provided the basic McAfee processes recommended in the VSE 8.8 Best Practice Guide for Low-Risk...you may have McAfee stepping on itself with the On-Access Scanner during the system shutdown.  Also, providing the Low-Risk exclusions will keep McAfee from impacting system performance as much as I'm guessing you're experiencing.

A good thing to remember is that each McAfee solution you add (Host IPS, Policy Auditor, Encryption, etc.) will also require a little adjusting to the VSE On-Access Low-Risk Scanner settings.  This will also help to keep additional McAfee solutions from impacting system performance and potentially creating new (although similar) problems.

If you want some additional assistance, message me and perhaps I can setup a free ePO Healthcheck for you. 

Hope this helps,

Dennis

"The electric light did not come from the continuous improvements of candles." - Oren Harari
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 17

Janni,

After you uninstall and reinstall VSE, did you get the Blue Screen on the very next restart?

I bet you have custom VSE policies in your environment, right?  So I would suggest that you uninstall and reinstall VSE and this time do not use any of your custom VSE policies (just use the default VSE policies in ePO) and see it you still get the Blue Screen.

We had similar situation in our environment, we sent MER logs and dumps but McAfee support could not figure it out.  Finally, we found out that the blue screen was caused by the one of our VSE policy.

Hi dmnlui,

thanks for Information. It's a crazy solution in my opinion. We are unsing thousends of EPO clients with VSE installed and custom VSE policies configured  in our environment. But only one or two machines had that issue. I can't believe that one VSE policy setting  is the reason for that issue because all other machines are working well.

The problem is gone for now after OS reinstallation of that problem machine. A reinstallation of the McAfee software didn't solve that problem.

Regards Janni

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community