Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 16

Re: mcshield.exe high cpu usage, unusable system after fresh install

FYI

I deleted McAfee (using their instructions to do it properly) from my surfing disk on my dualcore today, and installed MSE. Please note that my main and backup disks are totally isolated when I boot with the surfing disk. There are three disks, with main and backup being switched off for trials like this.

What I immediately noticed, is that MSE lets you state the maximum CPU usage for scans, with the default being 50 %; now that is progress compared to McAfee! This ought to work for single-core computers too.

The large number of pics/graphics on my home website definitely download much faster, and there is no noticeable extra CPU usage when opening new Internet Explorer instances.

The memory usage is still around 50-80 MB for the two processes MsMpEng.exe (43 MB) and msseces.exe (11 MB) right now, but this goes up and down as with McAfee.

I'll give it a try for a few days before committing my main disk to the same treatment.

And, of course, I have no idea how good this program is at finding a virus or spyware, but didn't see any really bad experiences on the Internet apart from the usual grumbles.

If it carries on working (apparently) well for the next week or so, I'll change to MSE, then maybe look around for any add-ons.

Nachricht geändert durch johnno on 08.11.12 09:12:48 CST
Highlighted

I've had the same problem with system degradation.  When I boot my desktop, the machine is unusable for 5-10 minutes because mcshield.exe is using 90-98% of the CPU.  It appears to be doing some kind of scan of the system.  The scheduled scans never run at the times scheduled and often choose some of the busiest times of the day to start instead; and have to be shut down and run manually later in the day, or the next day.  Calls to the help desk are a complete waste of time.  English as a tertiary language (or worse) seems to be the norm for the staff and none of these individuals have any diagnostic experience at all.  All they know is what the rote script says they are supposed to do.  Every call back does exactly the same steps and finds out nothing then gives up and says a tier two tech will call (but they never do) and you are left with a severely degraded system, money and time spent, and nothing to show for it..

I will not be renewing my McAfee subscription and have also moved to another product.  Considering that MCafee isn't even listed in the top ten (http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372370,00.asp) for 2013 and has been falling out of favor for years, you'd think they would pay attention to customer service.

Message was edited by: brianswilson on 12/11/12 6:28:55 AM CST

Message was edited by: brianswilson on 12/11/12 6:30:01 AM CST
Highlighted
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 16

Brian, mcafee has different levels of support and you get what you pay for.

Also when you want to see reviews of enterprise level software you won't find them on top ten reviews or pcmag along side all the consumer software... You'll find them in the top right corner of gartners magic quadrant:

Highlighted

I'm one of those people at the end of the chain who actually uses machines with McAfee - I'm beginning to think McAfee must have hired some of Nortons programmers because instead of it being a transparent process on a reasonable powered PC (i5 4Gb ram) its become a complete handbrake to everything. It used to be great btw.

It randomly fires up and just hogs all disk accesses and all CPU time - what software vendor would do such a thing and not bother about the impact to the user? I've had exactly the same problem with my home PC and have since given it a new lease of life by taking off McAfee and installing the MS av software - it's 100 times better, runs in the background and doesnt interfere with the user.

I think McAfee along with a lot of other vendors need to start remembering not everyone has a brand now top spec platform and there is a choice now and it's pretty decent...

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 15 of 16

cant say much but only agree with you..

i find myself in a position in my company where i have to defend our position on choosing mcafee

a few years back we did not experience high cpu issues, now most of our machines are I3 and 5's

but mcafee bogs the workstation to its knees.

users stopped calling me on the high cpu issues, they just tired of the situation.

the only thing that keeps me from pushing a replacement for mcafee is the EPO

its the best administrative tool IMOP and deserves a freaking medal .

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 16 of 16

Although I agree that McAfee does take a lot of resources and they do need to focus on this better, I can say in 15 years of using McAfee to protect our network of now 9000 computers and servers, we have never had an a virus take down. We haven't had any compromises and to us, that is worth millions.

Yes, we have gone through the heartaches of slowness on old computers/laptops that we can't just go out and replace at will due to budgets, but that is not McAfee's fault. It is the unfortunality of the fast paced technology world we live in. It is also contrinuted to the growing internet crime and it's technology.

I am pretty sure the freebie virus protections don't have the technology behind them that mcafee has to foresee threats in advance and deal with them. I doubt the military or FBI who use McAfee would toss their hands up in the air and say... oh well, let's just install the freebie applications to deal with the slowness and deal with the threats as they happen.

I dare anyone to come up with the perfect solution that will be strong enough to deal with the threat technology and be able to develop it to address every possible computer configuration, applications and their settings, and every users needs blindsided.

When i view the mcafee beta tests... i see a handful of dedicated people testing the products and helping McAfee to build the product to deal with their needs. These handfull of people go through the pain of it so they don't have to deal with the issues when the final product is released.

Maybe instead of complaining and throwing threats around and trying to build a hatred for a product that has done an incredible job over decades of protecting large major systems... just maybe the energy could be placed into being a beta tester to help make the product a better system for all to begin with.

JUST SAY'N

Message was edited by: sol on 2/19/13 7:19:19 AM CST

PS -  when you really look at those ratings and think about what the questions are really saying... it's pretty generic. I read a Top 10 review and one of the reasons they marked McAfee down was because the Home Edition did not have an online chat support...  that was a false statement, I had used the chat option so I know they had one and they had it ffor quite some time. I don't pay much attention to those reviews anymore because of the reality of the review. You have to read between the lines sometime and not just skim over the article.... it can be misleading and biased

Message was edited by: sol on 2/19/13 7:24:31 AM CST
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community