Did you mean: 

mcscript_inuse.exe taking 100% CPU on 8.7i

I'm running:
8.7i
scan engine 5301.4018
dat 5662
Buffer overflow and access protection dat 394

No patches installed

The mcscript_inuse.exe kicks off everyday at 5:00pm and takes up 100% of the cpu. I cannot figure out what's going on.

Any thoughts?
6 Replies
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

RE: mcscript_inuse.exe taking 100% CPU on 8.7i

Hi,

Have you seen this thread? http://community.mcafee.com/showpost.php?p=565209&postcount=8

Hope this helps. Post back with questions and results.

Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
DV27
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

RE: mcscript_inuse.exe taking 100% CPU on 8.7i

Install Patch 1. It has a number of performance improvements.

Re: RE: mcscript_inuse.exe taking 100% CPU on 8.7i

We have 3 systems on our net that have also this issue.

Viruscan Enterprise 8.7i, patch 2 and mcscript_inuse.exe takes 100% cpu in random moments, after that mcshield goes up to 50% and in one case even mcshield.exe crashes.

The 3 computers are a little bit old (Pentium 1.7 GHZ and 1 Gb RAM), we tried to disable Artemis and didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ricard

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

rcarles wrote:

We have 3 systems on our net that have also this issue.

Viruscan Enterprise 8.7i, patch 2 and mcscript_inuse.exe takes 100% cpu in random moments, after that mcshield goes up to 50% and in one case even mcshield.exe crashes.

The 3 computers are a little bit old (Pentium 1.7 GHZ and 1 Gb RAM), we tried to disable Artemis and didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ricard

Ricard,

You posted in the VSE area where I replied. See my post http://community.mcafee.com/message/103132#103132

Based on your description, you may be experiencing 2 different problems: 1) mcscript_inuse.exe CPU issue, 2) McShield CPU issues and crash.

1) Try: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb53690

Lowering the working thread priority helps relinquish CPU cycles to other processes during updates.

2) Try: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60651&pmv=print

By turning off Scan Processes On Enable, you may help with the seemingly random McShield CPU spikes. Based on McAfee statements, "This setting is intended for environments where security is more important than performance." As long as you have installed Patch 1 (VSE v8.7i) or later, this setting is suppose to be off by default, but may still be On.

Hopefully this is helpful, and post back with any questions.

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thanks Ron, been trying the second option and works fine now for the crash.

About the first question we decided to use Viruscan 8.5 for some old computers we have and works better. Maybe I'll try the priority thread option on a lab computer.

Thanks again!

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

rcarles wrote:

Thanks Ron, been trying the second option and works fine now for the crash.

About the first question we decided to use Viruscan 8.5 for some old computers we have and works better. Maybe I'll try the priority thread option on a lab computer.

Thanks again!

Your welcome, and thanks for the reply.

By the way, I believe "LowerWorkingThreadPriority" applies to VSE v8.5i as well. See https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53690&pmv=print

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community