cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error installing Patch 3 of VSE 8.9 on windows server 2012

Hi forum, when i try to deploy or install the Patch 3 on my windows server 2012 boxes i have the following error in my log.

Note: 1: 1729

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:25:270]: Product: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:25:271]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. Product Version: 8.8.03000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: McAfee, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

Can anybody help me?

regards

Cristian

12 Replies
wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 13

Re: error installing Patch 3 of VSE 8.9 on windows server 2012

This is not the error you are looking for.

Search the log for "return value 3"

That's where you'll find the actual error. If you want to paste the section preceding it here, it'll be of more use for folks to assist you.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Thank you warren!

this is the log file fragment.

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:23:803]: Product: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise -- Error 1334.The file ''traceapp.dll'' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file ''Data1.cab''. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Error 1334.The file ''traceapp.dll'' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file ''Data1.cab''. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:23:819]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:23:819]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (4C:C0) [15:37:23:819]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

Action ended 15:37:23: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

Thank you so much again

wwarren
Level 15
Message 4 of 13

Ah, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is, I'm confident I know what the problem is and it's simple to correct. The bad news is, you might have some work to do

This issue occurs if you try to install Patch 3 (or Patch 4 for that matter) on top of a base installation of VSE 8.8 with Patch 1. It only applies to x64 systems too.

Technically speaking, you do not have a supported configuration for Server 2012 - you should have started with VSE 8.8 Patch 3.  Then, you could have avoided seeing this issue.

The solutions are -

a) Install Patch 2, then install Patch 3; or,

b) Uninstall the product. Install using the base package that has Patch 2 already included. Then install Patch 3; or,

c) Uninstall the product. Install using the base package that has Patch 3 already included.

Really, (c) is your only supported solution.

But for folks who see this occur when Patch 4 comes around, they'll know to install Patch 2 first as a way to avoid it too.

Hi Warren, you are very nice, thank you for you reply. I´m testing right now and let you know as soon

Thank you!

Hi warren, i have a screeshot of my current config in the attach. How can i do to get the C option? i have not the install package with Patch 3 incorporated

regards

I wonder if exist a package that contain the Patch 3 incorporated. because i have windows 7/2008 and Windows 8/2012 machines and i need to packacges. One with VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and the other with VSE 8.8 Patch 3. This is correct???

regards

Hi warren, i have a screeshot of  my current config in the attach. How can i do to get the C option? i  have not the install package with Patch 3 incorporated

regards

wwarren
Level 15
Message 9 of 13

I think you're showing me your software manager repository... and it has the RTW package (the original relase) as your "Install - Windows" package. You don't want that package.

You want our latest posted package, which has Patch 3 already included. This can be downloaded from our Product Download page and checked into the repository.

Every time we release a patch we also update our posted package that's available for download, so that it includes the updated files. This avoid having to install a package and then have to patch it afterwards.

Exactly Warren, but i can´t find the producto with the patch incorporated, can you help me to find it? In the product download page i have not encountered

regards