cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: engineserver.exe memory leaks?

On the computers that have this issue (approx 10 that i am aware of so far, but we have not gone into production yet, just pilot for a couple more weeks) they are all older laptops. I have applied the reg hack on all of the ones I have received emails asking for help, and all of them except for 4 are working normal.

On a couple of the ones that are not working, when it slows to a crawl, the user's generally have outlook 2007, word 2007, excel 2007 and a couple IE windows open when the process starts. Then the user becomes unresponsive (or extemely slow) to the point where the user's are not able to even move the mouse.

We are hoping that this is addressed in Patch 4, but my guess is that these computers could have older images (not all the same image) on them that maybe there are some dlls outdated, maybe the bios needs an update, etc.

I am still working on getting some troubleshooting time for these computers. Hopefully I can provide some more specific details as to what is going on.

rjo98
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 72 of 76

Like how old are the laptops?  what kind of processors are in them?

Might be worth having one of the users pop open task manager and sort it by CPU and leave it up on their screen, then when they lock up have them tell you what's at the top and what percent its at.

Most of them are HP NC6120 with Pentium M 2.0GHZ processors

I have remoted in on a couple and watch the TM, and before the reg fix, McShield or engineserver were on top. After the reg fix, the processes did reduce so that the user could continue to work (even though the computer was still slower than normal).

Like I said, it appears to have worked on most of them, I just need to check the rest and find out what makes the other ones "so special".

rjo98
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 74 of 76

I used to have one of those! haha

Yeah, for those, I think it might just be the older hardware vs. newer software built for new processors battle you're fighting.  Even with that reg fix it's still going to take up a good chunk of the processor and RAM during the update process, but it will stop it from maxing out the processor at least.

Maybe on those devices you have the DATs update on a different time schedule or something creative like that to be less troublesome for the users, know its not ideal but if it might be the best you can do to relieve some pressure off you.  Not sure when you currently update and its even trickier since they are laptop users.

VSE 8.8 gets rid of EngineServer.exe all together and fixed the memory problems for me.

My users quit complaining with v8.8

I would just skip 8.7 P4... why bother.

Oh, and schedule your dat updates for after hours.

on 3/17/11 1:53:45 PM CDT

I thought that would be cool too. Had a user complaining about vse87p4 scan trashing the PC - it only runs processes, registry and memory and is OK on 15,000 pcs. Takes about 5 mins, but  on this PC 15. McAfee told me to go to 8.8 and it actually made the situation 10 times worse. I dread to think what it would do if I was actually scanning files......

I guess that's not fair. The PC obviously has a problem. We have a handful of them going weird on vse87 scans. Case is with McAfee. I'll post what is found.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator