cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An update

Having received McAfee's official explanation of how engineserver loads and unloads, which they felt addressed the issue, I went back to them to explain that this was in no way acceptable and they had a problem. As I see it, the issue is that it will not unload memory at certain points and then loads another lot later on. Watch your server during the day when it is being used and the load will not change. It goes up when it becomes idle and users then log on. I have supplied McAfee with perfmon data at the beginning of this week and chased yesterday. Once again, the response is slow. I will escalate to the account managers next week.

We too hit a gig this week before I restarted the service. I do not have time to investigate this in any greater depth and don't really see why I should.

The MER is the only way a tier 1 can escalate. I have lost count of the number of MERS I have run over the years and am utterly convinced that they have either never been looked at or have not helped ascertain the cause of the problem in any way. Drives me to utter distraction. I now also refuse to ftp to McAfee as it rarely works and, when it does, they either say it went wrong or ignore it. I always get McAfee to ftp it from us.

Mcafee 8.7 / EngineServer.exe memory leak

I could not agree with you more! I have had nothing but aggravation with their first level support. The last time I emailed them, I told them that I have spent way too much time on this as well. When it is so easy for them to replicate the issue.

When I opened a case for the McAfee 8.5 / outlook.exe memory issue. We went for a couple months of giving them data, only to have the case closed by McAfee when I told them I was going on vacation for a week and I asked for the case to remain open until I got back. When I got back it was closed saying it was their policy to close the case. Yet, the supervisor call me back after our McAfee sales rep called them on it and they said their tech was wrong and should have kept it open.

My status as of Monday Dec 1st: They have collected all the data last week and I am waiting for them to either ask me for MORE information or hopefully just provide a patch for 8.7

Scott

Update

After a week of nothing, I have now been moved to Tier 3. It would seem McAfee are looking at this for various people, so if you have a reference number, please let me know and I will tell them so that they can pool resources.

We share the same experiences. McAfee have fundamental problems, but are not alone in this. At the 'Access all areas' they openly admitted that they lack support staff in numbers and quality. The major problem is that as soon as someone gets any good on Tier 1, they want to move on. I can understand this. There have been times when I have shouted loud enough to get a personal support guy for 6 months before he 'moved on'. That was great and emulated the 'platinum support', which we have had previously and was excellent. The trouble is, McAfee don't seem to understand their obligation to fulfil the terms in their Gold Support. We are often told that we would get better support under Platinum, but our response that we would be happy with Gold if that was what we actually got gets us nowhere. Promises are broken with the ease of a government forgetting its manifesto.

McAfee have great ideas and tempt people to buy with those lovely 'add-ons. BUT, they don't have the support knowledge of such non-core products. We originally upgraded to the EPO architecture due to the Rogue Sensor and SCP carrots. It took me about 6 months to demonstrate to them that both products were so fundamentally flawed that they were unusable - it took this long because nobody in the Tiers really knew much about the non-mainstream products, where the bulk of their support lies. When I suggested they refund our money as their products weren't working, I made very little impact. This seems most unfair - if I bought a washing machine which had the added benefit of a timed tumble-dryer and the dryer did not function on the timer, I would get my money back. But this is a different market.

The temptation is always to go somewhere else, but I actually like the McAfee products and am scared that we would get the same support, if not worse, elsewhere. I tire of people saying how good other products are. They typically lack many features and simply could not cope with the complicated global environment I support.

So, in short. If you shout loud enough and have the patience of a saint, you CAN get good support from McAfee. Similarly if you are willing to go to Platinum. But, I have grown tired of shouting and generally try to resolve things myself these days !

Thank you again for the info, hopefully they will have a patch soon. I can't see this being all that hard for them to find / fix.

We have also emailed our sales rep a link to this thread. Hopefully, they will have a fix soon as 8.0 and 8.5 products are taking way to much memory on our servers. And now the issue with 8.7 being unusable as well. Once they fix 8.7, I will be able to get approx 25%+ users on our servers again!

rrrobbo, we finally got esculated to level 2 and we provided him this thread. He looked up your case and will be talking to your level 3 people.

Scott

Fixed !

Tier 3 have implemented a change to the dat files in the last week or so. This issue should now be better in the TS environment.

RE: Fixed !

Any update on this issue?

I'm quite dissapointed by 8.7 and newly introduced engineserver service. I wasn't that brave to deploy it to any of our servers but I did deploy it to couple evaluation workstations. They're all on XP SP3, 5300 engine and all of them experience +/- 100MB or more for engine process. And this is only after several hours after the reboot of computer.

Is there a document which briefly describes what does engineserver service do since I haven't found anything in KB?

Engine Server Memory

This process hooks into other applications such as office and internet explorer. Under previous versions of mcafee it would explode the sizes of the actual applications like outlook.exe. If you look at this process you will see it taking 2 to 3 times the normal memory.

8.7 has changed this behavior and is now using the engine server to do this task. The issue that everyone was having is a memory leak with the engine process.

Since they fixed something in the dat's I have seen a 50% less reduction on the memory leak when using it over a week. Yet, it still seems to exist to some point.

On terminal servers we try to reboot once a week so it is not as big of an issue anymore and if you turn off access protection temporarily you can manually restart this service which free's up all the memory again.

Scott
Kooga
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 19 of 76

EngineServer.EXE - Memory issues

We have encountered the same problem with EngineServer.EXE.....Our platforms include Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP2/3.

This EXE takes a huge amount of our PC's recourses which at times virtually renders our workstation useless. I have place a call with McAfee and I'm currently awaiting a reply.

I understand from another source that McAfee are aware of this problem and that a fix maybe available sometime in or around February 09. In the meantime the suggestion is to downgrade to VirusScan 8.5.

Make of this what you will!

Agreed

I agee. Although the fix with the DATS has made a vast difference to the terminal servers, we still have some instances of ENGINESERVER running high. But then we have always had instances with variable mcafee processes running high at various times on various platforms. Its just something I have learned to live with, applyimg various fix methods.

There was very little documentation on the new process last time I looked. Again, that is normal for McAfee !:)
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator