cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now MCSHIELD.EXE is doing bad things

I think McAfee have got it wrong again. I notice now that when my Terminal servers update, the MCSCRIPT_IN_USE runs at about 20% cpu and then MCSHIELD comes back and starts running at 20% CPU constantly and my servers are screwed again. I am going to talk to them yet again.

:confused::eek::(

2009 And still the same issues?

I'm coming into this VERY late, so I hope there has been a resolution to the EngineServer.exe high memory usage issue. We are seeing this mainly on workstations.

Here are the specs from a users machine and this is pretty much standard across all workstation:

McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1444
Product Coverage Reports 4.0.0.1444
VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.570.Wrk
AntiSpyware 8.7.0.129
Engine Version: 5301.4018

Has McAfee addressed this issue AT ALL?? Hope someone is still monitoring this thread. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ismael Alfaro
ismaelalfaro@gamestop.com
D-Fens
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 23 of 76

RE: 2009 And still the same issues?

build .570 is patch 1, i suppose? patch #1 fixed this issue for me. (memory usage went down from 75mb to 0,5mb)

.570 = patch 1

Yep....570 is patch 1. Not encouraging to know that this worked for you yet I am still having issues.

Any others on patch still seeing EngineServer.exe use too much RAM?

New updates

Yes, patch 1 fixed it.

Patch 3 for Agent 4 OR
Agent 4.5 is now out (of course epo 4.5 is out)
Patch 2 for vse 8.7
Engine 5400

So things have moved on. Now seeing various new problems plus a continuation of machine slowness whilst McAfee updates for 5 minutes. Online session pending for Monday with McAfee. Will let you know.:mad:

RE: New updates

Yep, I still do experience slowness and almost 100% CPU utilization during the DAT update. This is also happening on clean Windows 7 install (32bit). It is not that bad as it is on XP but still annoying and can't believe that McAfee cannot address this issue for such a long time and so many complaints.

I have hoped that new MA and VSE 8.7 SP2 fix the problem but nothing ... at least I can receive policies and update my VSE on Win7 now 😉

MA 4.0.1494
VSE 8.7 SP2 + MSA
ENG 5400.1158
HIPS 7.0.1021
D-Fens
Level 7
Message 27 of 76

petr.bohac, did you try the solutions mentioned in this thread: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=234115

i opend a case with mcafee 8 weeks ago because of this issue, but there wasn't a solution for the CPU utilization during the DAT update.

D-fens: nope as I was thinking that McAfee would fix the issue with SP2 wink Actually it's really bad, I started just Firefox and Outlook 2007 then initiated update and the PC was almost unusable for about 10 minutes ... at least FF and Outlook. Utilization went up up to 50% and memory usage went from about 37MB to about 250-380MB of Engineservice.

I'm not going to open case with them as I think it's completely useless and waste of time. You can't easily reach Tier 3 and therefor it's like talking to idiots ... but I don't blame those people they can't have that knowledge ... it's actually McAfee bad policy ...

Will try the registry changes and will see.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 76

"On-access scanner Scan processes on enable"

I would certainly like to know what your results are like after trying this solution.
Thanks,
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

RE: "On-access scanner Scan processes on enable"

Hi Ron,

I'll try it with what you suggest ... unfortunately the previous solution to lower "LowerWorkingThreadPriority" didn't help at all.

What really annoys me is that engineserver memory utilization stays around 360MB (in my case) and doesn't get released after the DAT update.

Petr
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center