cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

cmdow.exe - why delete now?

Running VSE8.7i Patch 3

Ref Generic.dx!vei (cmdow.exe version 1.4.2)  - found in threat library under http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/malware/default.aspx?id=325341, but  and Generic.Tra!cd4d4e9b8f8a (cmdow.exe version 1.4.3) not found in the threat library.

Following the update from DAT 6202, the file cmdow.exe (detected as above) is being deleted from my customers machines.  This becomes a problem since we use this for hiding windows during automated installs.  We understand that this has been marked as a potential hacking tool (for sometime).  We can add an exclusion, but what we are specifically wish to understand is what has changed to elevate this to being detected and the file being deleted as I cannot find any further information or details?

4 Replies

Re: cmdow.exe - why delete now?

Hello SithLord,

I'd recommend you to submit this file to McAfee Labs via Service Portal (preferred) or via virus_research@mcafeelabs.com and then contact technical support so they can escalate your request to McAfee Las. You will need to provide the work id or analysis ID regarding your submission so they can escalate your request. Once confirmed it's a real clean file they will provide you a negative extra.dat or another solution to do not detect this file anymore.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruno

Highlighted

Thanks for that I have raised call.  I will post if this is a false positive.

Highlighted

Here is the response from McAfee Labs -

Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.

Synopsis -

For the file:CMDOW.EXE,CMDOW142.EXE (note - older version)

Detection is corrected in the latest source and Dats for the files(CMDOW.EXE,CMDOW142.EXE). We were detecting as Generic DX a few days ago but this has been rectified now.Kindly update to the latest Dats to see the correct PUP detection.

Highlighted

sounds good

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community