I did. Unfortunately the log does not list applications. Furthermore, the virus update is attempted on a a different port each time (hence I can not open a particular port but need the name of the specific mcafee application that is responsible for the traffic).
I added [%ProgramFiles% (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe] but McAfee Virus Update still can't succeed.
(Reminder, if I turn off the Outboud firewall then the McAfee Virus Update works fine. Also, all other programs I allow through the outbound firewall work as expected. Hence there is no problem with the firewall but we simply don't know which McAfee processes to allow through the firewall for the update to succeed.)
Consider changing the "%ProgramFiles% (x86)" to "%programfiles%" exactly (all lowercase, missing the (x86), etc.)
I seem to recall that VSE v8.7i (pre-patch 3) had a problem with the interpretation of %programfiles% which was fixed in one of the patches. The firewall might be acting the same. (Someone from McAfee, please confirm.) The work-around was to specify %programfiles% in all lowercase in order to have the Exclusions using this set environment variable, properly interpreted.
Alternatively, hard code it like this "C:\Programs Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe" as this avoids the interpretation of the set environment variable.
Let us know if this is helpful.
I just saw this discussion and the solution it suggested.. Just maybe....
Hope this helps.
Almost. I did not manage to add mcscript_inuse.exe as a the firewall exclusion without specifying the entire file path (which I doin't know). Anyway, I'll digg some more on this. Seems there is hope after all.
In case others are still looking for an answer - I left a response in the thread linked to by Grif a few posts back.
You need to add a rule to allow the program "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\McScript_InUse.exe".
It seems to work under Windows 7 x64 and I'm testing on Server 2008 R2.