Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keel
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 17

Re: can't update virus definitions with windows outbound firewall enabled

I did. Unfortunately the log does not list applications. Furthermore, the virus update is attempted on a a different port each time (hence I can not open a particular port but need the name of the specific mcafee application that is responsible for the traffic).

Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 17

keel wrote:

I added [%ProgramFiles% (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe] but McAfee Virus Update still can't succeed.

(Reminder, if I turn off the Outboud firewall then the McAfee Virus Update works fine. Also, all other programs I allow through the outbound firewall work as expected. Hence there is no problem with the firewall but we simply don't know which McAfee processes to allow through the firewall for the update to succeed.)

Keel,

Consider changing the "%ProgramFiles% (x86)" to "%programfiles%" exactly (all lowercase, missing the (x86), etc.)

I seem to recall that VSE v8.7i (pre-patch 3) had a problem with the interpretation of %programfiles% which was fixed in one of the patches. The firewall might be acting the same. (Someone from McAfee, please confirm.) The work-around was to specify %programfiles% in all lowercase in order to have the Exclusions using this set environment variable, properly interpreted.

Alternatively, hard code it like this "C:\Programs Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe" as this avoids the interpretation of the set environment variable.

Let us know if this is helpful.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
keel
Level 7
Message 13 of 17

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it out but still no luck.

apoling
Level 14
Message 14 of 17

Hi,

how about doing a network monitor capture of the update process?

Attila

Highlighted
Grif
Level 10
Message 15 of 17

I just saw this discussion and the solution it suggested.. Just maybe....

http://community.mcafee.com/message/134982#134982

Hope this helps.

Grif

keel
Level 7
Message 16 of 17

Almost. I did not manage to add mcscript_inuse.exe as a the firewall exclusion without specifying the entire file path (which I doin't know). Anyway, I'll digg some more on this. Seems there is hope after all.

In case others are still looking for an answer - I left a response in the thread linked to by Grif a few posts back.

You need to add a rule to allow the program "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\McScript_InUse.exe".

It seems to work under Windows 7 x64 and I'm testing on Server 2008 R2.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community