cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WmiPrvSe.exe reading tzres.dll.mui thousands of times in 10 minutes

I recently ran the McAfee profiler tool on a server of mine which was experiencing high CPU and RAM. What I found was wmiprvse.exe was reading tzres.dll.mui upwards of 27k times in 10 minutes. In the brief amount of searching I've done, I'm not able to find out a reason for this.

Any help with this would be awesome.

7 Replies
Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: WmiPrvSe.exe reading tzres.dll.mui thousands of times in 10 minutes

tzres.dll and tzres.dll.mui are tied to "Windows System Resource Manager"; for troubleshooting try restarting "Windows Management Instrumentation" in the Services panel - "WmiPrvSE.exe" and all of the dependent services will automatically get restarted if you use the "Restart" option. 

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

Yes, stopping WMI stops this issue, but we have products (Microsoft SCCM, VMware vRealize Operations) that require WMI to be functioning so stopping the entire service isn't really a solution.

We're seeing this issue on Win7 and there doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall Windows System Resource Manager on the Win7 OS. I don't believe this is actually a McAfee issue as much as a Windows/WMI issue, we just haven't been able to find a fix yet.

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Are these tools Microsoft SCCM, VMware vRealize Operations used for monitoring - if so, that would make sense why WMI is being called so many times.  Perhaps a Short term fix would be to add tzres.dll and tzres.dll.mui to the exclusion list.

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

Yeah, we've got the files added to the exclusion list which reduced our CPU usage, which is why i'm not blaming McAfee since we know its WMI as the culprit. We're still seeing a ton of IO being generated from WMIPRVSE because its still creating the files continuously even though McAfee isnt scanning them anymore.

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

You may have known this - tzres.dll is a part of Daylight Saving Time system time management ...

Highlighted

McAfee Corporate KB - High CPU usage by mcshield.exe, and wmiprvse.exe and mcshield.exe are repeated...

Open the KB, and you will find a Microsoft article with a solution.

Regards,

Wilfredo

wouterr
Level 11
Message 8 of 8

We had simmilar issue's with MA5.0.2 and with incorrect installation sequences of ma5.0.4 and VSEp8. Apart from the articles above and the suggestion to exclude *.mui from OAS we never got much further in troubleshooting this issue. best fix for us was reinstalling the McAfee components in the correct sequence.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator