Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 25

Re: Windows7 & VirusScan 8.7 p2 & No Taskbar icon

This is a trouble topic to keep straight.

It sounds like you have the MA 4.5 agent and 8.7i Patch 2. This leads to no VSE icon, because the VSE functionality is absorbed into the Agent's icon.

This configuration will never see the VSE vshield icon again (not without breaking the Agent).

The only icon that can be displayed is the Agent's icon. This is done by configuring the Agent policy to display the icon, or for standalone system to use a registry tweak that forces it to display.

The VirusScan functions are accessible via the "M" icon.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Hi

i am also having the problem of no MA icon on a handful of machines.

i had deployed a total of 90 machines, only 5 had this problem. [win2003, epo4.5, ma4.5, vse8,.7i, hotfix517265]

i had already applied hotfix HF517265 but it does not seem to resolve all of the clients.

agent icon will only come out if i did a "cmdagent /s". after that, it will not appear when i re login to the machine.

any advice? thank you very much.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 23 of 25

Chatting with my Agent colleague, I hear there is a fix coming in the Agent 4.5 Patch 1 release to solve an issue of - If Explorer.exe crashes (which drops everything from the system tray), when it restarts the Agent icon will not be seen.

This may account for the issue of not seeing the icon after login, assuming Explorer is silently bouncing.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Thanks William,

Could you tell us when can we expect VSE87 Patch 3 and MA45 Patch 1?

Regards

Japes
Level 7
Message 25 of 25

Hi Warren

Just to clarify my own situation.  It is not the VS icon that is missing it is the "M" in the red shield icon that is missing.  Very occasionally it appears, but it doesn't hang around for long, and the status does not depend on the policy settings.  All our admin machines are set to show the icon with all options - and they don't get any icon at all.  Users have minimal options allowed and, as long as they are running XP, it works fine.  This problem only appears on Window 7 machines running 8.7 (with patch 2).

As I said in an earlier post - it isn't really a huge problem, because the software still works, but, for example,  if one has a rougue that doesn't appear to be updating, it's quite handy to see what version the client thinks it is as opposed to the one that EPO is listing.

Also, as per my earlier post, the managed tasks no longer show in the virusscan console - almost as though they aren't being pushed through.

Quite frankly, the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Message was edited by: Japes on 01/02/10 05:20:38 CST

Message was edited by: Japes on 01/02/10 05:21:26 CST
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community