cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having the same issue with Patch2 and windows 7

I am seeing this behavior as well. I just installed Patch 2 and poof, no more tray icon. I seem to be getting the corect policies applied though, as I can see my On-Access exclusions that are defined in the epo policy. Has anyone opened a support case for this issue yet?
csotoc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 25

Re: Having the same issue with Patch2 and windows 7

I also have the same issue, does anyone had the solution yet?

sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 13 of 25

Please consult KnowledgeBase article KB67118
Browse to https://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/Default.aspx and select Search the KnowledgeBase
Regards

on 11/9/09 4:52 AM
csotoc
Level 7
Message 14 of 25

Hi Mr. G,

I did the recommendation on KB67118 using the ePO 4.5 console but now I have constantly apearing Mcafee shields on my Windows taskbar, they disapear as soon as you pass the mouse over it.

Highlighted
Stanw
Level 7
Message 15 of 25

Already tried the Hotfix in KB67118.  Still have this issue with no M Shield in systray on many Windows 7 systems.   I also have some systems with the V Shield & Epo Shield, but no M Shield.

Windows 7

VirusScan 8.7 (with patch 2 & hotfix)

AntiSpyware Module v8.7

SE 5400

Agent 4.5

sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 16 of 25

Good morning

Apologies for the late response but I have been out of office. In view of the evidence I would strongly suggest logging a case with McAfee Support.

For contact details
:

Alternatively:
  • If you are a registered user, type your User Id and Password and click OK.
  • If you are not a registered user, click New User and complete the required fields. Your password and login instructions will be emailed to you.

Regards

on 11/17/09 2:32 AM
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 17 of 25

Re: Windows7 & VirusScan 8.7 p2 & No Taskbar icon

I saw a couple issues described in this thread -

1. Policies not being enforced for VirusScan, but were being enforced for other products.

The installation of VSE on that system is in a bad state. Unfortunately, how bad cannot be determined from the snippet of ePO Agent log that was shown. It would require much more digging.

You may be able to recover, however, and at the very least be able to enforce policies again for VSE by changing this registry value back to 0.

HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\Viruscan8x00, x being 6 for 8.5i and 7 for 8.7i

"Plugin Flag"=8

This Plugin Flag value must be 0. A value of 8 tells the ePO agent to ignore VirusScan. The value is only set to 8 during Patch updates, so it appears a patch update initiated and it failed, leaving the VSE installation in an unknown state.

2. The VSE "Vshield" icon is missing.

There are a couple issues slated to be fixed for Patch 3, involving the VShield icon and MA icon when MA version 4.5 is installed.

The expected behavior for the most part though, is as follows:

ePO Managed | MA icon policy is "Show" =>

> No Vshield icon

> VShield icon options are accessible via the "M" icon

However, if your VSE user-interface policies are set to be more restrictive, you get less or no options available to you via the "M" icon.

ePO Managed | MA icon policy is "Hide" =>

> No Vshield icon (however this is a bug)

> No "M" icon, because you told it to hide.

Not ePO Managed =>

> No VShield icon (this is intended loss of functionality due to the architectural changes between MA4.5 and VSE 8.7 P2)

You can force an icon to display; the "M" icon can be forced to display, and the menu options available will match those described above for "ePO Managed" scenarios.

This is done via the registry.

Create a string "ForcedShow" under HKLM\Software\McAfee\McTray, and give it the value of 1. Log off, Log on.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Japes
Level 7
Message 18 of 25

I, too, am having these issues after much pain in trying to get it to work at all.

In the end, after uninstalling and reinstalling several times, I rebuilt the machine from scratch.

EPO deployed the agent, the machine actually did its updates (which was a first!), the icon appeared and then disappeared.

I can run agent monitor from the command prompt, and it shows the client updating and apparently enforcing policies, but still no icon, and none of the managed tasks appear in the VirusScan console.

And yes, I have created a new EPO group just for Windows 7 machines, with all new tasks and policies.

It would have been helpful to have found in the knowledgebase (before all this started) a step by step "how to install VS and EPO agent on a Windows 7 machine" that was easy to find (maybe a link on the first page???), that laid out clearly the prerequisites (ie EPO 4 with the latest patch, Agent 4.5 ditto, 8.7i ditto), and the fact that all the tasks need to be created as new tasks.

The frustration of trying to get this to work even to the state it is now, was immense and has turned me from a staunch McAfee advocate  and PAC member into a potential defector.

I am sure I will cool down, but at the moment I am not best pleased.

SeaCat
Level 7
Message 19 of 25

Perhaps it has something to do with EPO 4.5 or the 4.5 agent.  We're running EPO 4.0, 8.7i w/p2, agent patch 3 on all of our Windows 7 machines and so far I've not had any issues with the agent icon not showing properly.  Sometimes I wonder if McAfee tests this stuff in a lab environment before releasing it.

Message was edited by: SeaCat on 11/20/09 7:34 AM
Japes
Level 7
Message 20 of 25

Apparently, my latest information is that this is "expected behaviour" of 8.7i running on WIndows 7 to "leverage" the ability of the user to decide what is seen in the system tray and what isn't. (I've always managed to "leverage" this mysef by removing any system tray icons I didn't want.)

So merrily I went marching in to customise my system tray, told the thing to always show icons and notifications, and, guess what?......... still no icon.  I can live without it, but it's really handy if you've got a rogue machine that won't update to be able to click or right click the icon and find out what dat, engine, agent the machine is running.

Message was edited by: Japes to amend terrible tyipng on 11/20/09 9:47 AM
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community