cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iap2001
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Windows 7 Action Center reports incorrectly McAfee Virusscan Enterprise as turned off - Does anyone have a solution?

I installed Virusscan Enterprise right after installing Windows 7 on my PC and it worked fine with no problems for the past two months. Since last Friday the Windows 7 Action Center claims that Virusscan Enterprise is turned off and asks that it be turned on. However, the McAfee Virusscan console shows that all features are enabled (i.e. nothing is turned off). I also downloaded, installed and ran McAfee Virtual Technician, which reported no problems with Virusscan Enterprise. So it appears that this may be a communication problem between Virusscan Enterprise and the Windows 7 Action Center. It is an annoying problem though, because every few minutes the Action Center notification windows pops up on the bottom of my screen telling me to "Turn on McAfee Virusscan Enetrprise". By the way, if I go ahead and click on the notification window, as instructed, to turn on Virusscan and proceed with all the steps, nothing much happens. No error messages but a few minuts later the same notifictaion window pops up. I did a search and found out that others have reported this problem and described it as a communications issue between Virusscan Enterprise and the Windows 7 Action Center. The "solution" proposed was to uncheck the "Spyware and related protection" box in the Action Center settings (Control panel -> System and Security -> Action Center -> Change Action Center settings); this was supposed to stop the frequent annoying "Turn on..." messages, but it hasn't.

14 Replies
SamSwift
Level 12
Message 2 of 15

Re: Windows 7 Action Center reports incorrectly McAfee Virusscan Enterprise as turned off - Does anyone have a solution?

Moving this thread to the VirusScan Enterprise area....

Are you running VSE8.7i with patch 2? If not then please upgrade to this version as there is fix in patch 2 which prevents this behaviour.

You can download the patch from our serviceportal

Sam

iap2001
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

Re: Windows 7 Action Center reports incorrectly McAfee Virusscan Enterprise as turned off - Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks. I am, indeed, running 8.7i but without Service Pack 2. I would love to download this SP but the McAfee site is infuriatingly diffiuclt to navigate. I was able to find documents describing SP 2 but after spending a lot of time looking I am still unable to find a link to download the actual SP. So if you could point me to the right place I would appreciate it. Then I can download and install it and find out whether this solves my problem

Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 15

You will need to have a valid support contract/grant number to be able to download the Patch 2 for VSE 8.7i If you don't have a grant number, then you will have to contact the helpdesk/administrators at the place you got the VirusScan software from. I work at a big university and we make the patch available at the helpdesk.

Below is the log in portal to get the patch from.

https://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/Default.aspx

iap2001
Level 7
Message 5 of 15

Thank you. Unfortunatly my organization (a major university), which distributes VSE 8.7i internally, has not decided whether to make VSE patches available yet. In he meantime my attempts to at least disable the annoyning pop-up messages by changing settings in the Windows 7 Action Center proved fruitless. In frustration, I uninstalled VSE 8.7i from my computer and downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free and which does not see to generate the false messages. I suppose this qualifies as a "workaround", albeit a drastic one.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 15

There is an additional update involving Windows Security Center aka Action Center, coming in Patch 3.

We had reports of a "blip" message alerting the user that VirusScan was disabled. With Patch 2 we adopted the new interface (under much encouragement from MSFT) for communicating with Security Center, and our implementation incurred this odd side-effect of a message flashing onscreen from the system tray periodically.

This is fixed in Patch 3 (public release around March 9).

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Hi, strangely I'm having this issue since I installed patch3 on my machine (W7 Pro 64-bit). Any ideas?

Luis,

Patch 3 was supposed to take care of that issue.

Just FYI, There is a fresh issue with the Patch 3 which is under investigation by McAfee. It is causing the explorer.exe to close and is causing serious errors. so, I suggest we all should wait and watch before we take the step to install Patch 3.

Sameer.

Mal09
Level 12
Message 9 of 15

Maybe there's a bug with X64 versions - or the McAfee install is somehow corrupt.

A check should be made with the McAfee Virtual Technician to ensure things are working ok on the client side: http://mvt.mcafee.com

eliszt
Level 7
Message 10 of 15

Has there been any update to this issue with Patch 3 and Win7 x64.   I'm still experiencing the popup warnings and would love to address it.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community