cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 1703 - forced to uninstall McAfee but McAfee won't uninstall

Hi All,

Using McAfee Enterprise (ePo) VSE v8.8.

Installing Win10 1703 update, it advises McAfee must be removed. The 1703 update attempts to do this but cannot. Removing manually via Programs & Features results in error "McAfee Agent cannot be removed while it is in managed mode". Removing manually from an elevated Command Prompt using frmtinst.exe /remove=agent or frminst.exe /forceuninstall gives error "This app can't run on this PC. McAfee Agent 5 doesn't work on this version of Windows".

Any ideas?

Thank you

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor frank_enser
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Windows 10 1703 - forced to uninstall McAfee but McAfee won't uninstall

Hi,

Windows 10 Creators Update needs Agent 5.0.5, so either update to 5.0.5 or remove. If uninstall fails, contact McAfee Support and ask for the "McAfee Removal Tool" (MFERemoval100.exe). This tool succeeds at removing a bunch of McAfee products like VSE, Agent or HIPS even if normal uninstall won't work.

Regards,

Frank

I have experienced the same problem today. Is there any possibe solution?

McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Most often McAfee Products can be removed via Programs > Programs and Features, when using the appropriate Administrator Account.

Solution: 
 These steps can be used to properly remove McAfee product: As an Administrator follow Microsoft Guidance for uninstalling Programs:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-repair-or-remove-programs-in-windows-10
 Select and choose to uninstall any Listed McAfee product(s). Reboot and Confirm the McAfee software is no longer listed. If no McAfee product(s) are listed this should conclude the removal of McAfee products. 

Secondary solution:
  If the objective is to apply Windows updates, there is an alternative to removal. 
This is detailed in the following Microsoft article:
 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

Hope this helps.

I have the same issues still, should we even remove? Is there anyone who removed and has been succesfull in re-install after the upgrade? My versions:

• Endpoint Security Platform version 10.5.3.3178
  • Patch 3
  • Agent 5.0.6.220
  • SystemCore 15.7.0.665

Als Threadprevention, Firewall & Webcheck active.

Updated all to 1st of June 2018... Not sure what to do here...

I ran into the same issue, but with Win 10 build 1803. Windows launched the uninstall for VSE and then completed the 1803 upgrade.

I checked to see if VSE was fully removed - it wasn't. McAfee Agent was still showing as an installed program. So, I removed it and rebooted - now, no McAfee programs are listed as installed in windows. However, McAfee ModuleCoreService is running and I can't stop it. I tried installing VSE8.8 update 11 but it fails during installation.

What do I do now?  Since no McAfee products are installed none of the proceedures to remove McAfee will work. msiexec does not work, frminst is not installed .... and the service is protected ....

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community