cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the McAfee VirusScan Command Line for Linux scan a 1KB file cost 17seconds?

Our company use the vscl to scan the files on 64bit linux system ,but it cost at least 17seconds to scan any file.

So, i don't understand why the vscl is so slowly than vse.

3 Replies

Re: Why the McAfee VirusScan Command Line for Linux scan a 1KB file cost 17seconds?

KB68023 - VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.0.4 and earlier releases (Windows or Unix) do not start immediately.

Note the 10 seconds quote in the article is an estimate, it will vary depending on hardware.

Re: Why the McAfee VirusScan Command Line for Linux scan a 1KB file cost 17seconds?

Moved from Consumer to Enterprise By Moderator

If not the appropriate area , please apprise.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

郭杨勇 wrote:

Our company use the vscl to scan the files on 64bit linux system ,but it cost at least 17seconds to scan any file.

So, i don't understand why the vscl is so slowly than vse.

is correct in my opinion as to what is going on. KB68023 explains how CLS v6.0.5 and later will automatically create the runtime avvdat files, it may be advantageous to create the runtime files at the time of Update, instead of waiting for the first scan to take place.

[Since you are] Using Linux:

uvscan --decompress

Using Windows:

Scan /DECOMPRESS

Now when scanning, the scan will happen faster.

Also, I recommend using a restricted (rights) user when scanning to isolate what may happen during the scan. You would normally need an elevated rights user (root/owner) when updating CLS and creating the runtime AVVDat files. Using 2 users IDs allows greater security controls.

Hope this is 'helpful' and Good luck,

Ron Metzger