cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is McAfee not caching the DAT file in memory?

Jump to solution

We are using VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8 with scan engine 5700.7163 and DAT version 7929.000

My laptop was blowing a lot during the last hour so i checked what was happening. I discovered that McAfee is responsible for this cause.

When the McAfee on demand scan is running is see that the mcshield process is reading the DAT file a lot on different locations in the file. But why does it not cache this 70 MB file in memory? My guess would be that it will perform much faster.

A small capture of the actions:

mcshield.PNG

Regards,

Arjan de Vries

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 6

Re: Why is McAfee not caching the DAT file in memory?

Jump to solution

Hello,

The DAT files are large (by some people's reckoning it was too large), and as such the design for how the product uses the DATs was broken up into 2 main blocks.

One, resides in memory, subject to paging.

Two, is a memory mapped file which is used as needed. Specific chunks of DAT data is stored in that file, which I'm probably not at liberty to divulge.

The data you posted shows file activity associated with accessing the memory mapped file.

I too would expect improved performance if storing the entirety of the DATs in memory, so long as paging is not occurring, and that is how it was done in past versions of the product. However, other design considerations led to what you see today.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Moved to VSE for faster response.

---

Peter

Jump to solution

Looks like faster response is still very slow. ;-)

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

I agree. wish I could help.

wwarren
Level 15
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello,

The DAT files are large (by some people's reckoning it was too large), and as such the design for how the product uses the DATs was broken up into 2 main blocks.

One, resides in memory, subject to paging.

Two, is a memory mapped file which is used as needed. Specific chunks of DAT data is stored in that file, which I'm probably not at liberty to divulge.

The data you posted shows file activity associated with accessing the memory mapped file.

I too would expect improved performance if storing the entirety of the DATs in memory, so long as paging is not occurring, and that is how it was done in past versions of the product. However, other design considerations led to what you see today.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Jump to solution

Hi warren,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer it's clear to me. Maybe also my SSD disk is getting warmer than normal disk what also causes more heat in my laptop. Maybe it's a idea to cache more depending on the memory usage. But that's something what you guy's can better determine.

Thanks again,

Arjan