cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does the 'Help' > 'About VirusScan Enterprise' get info from

Jump to solution

We use VirusScan Enterprise  8.8

In order to see the DAT file date in use, I simply open the VirusScan console and then select 'Help' and then 'About VirusScan Enterprise'

My question is this

Where does McAfee pull this data from?

Reason I ask is because we have a numerous number servers that are being checked regularly as to if they have the current DAT file.

I would rather not login to each server to check the "user guide"

Eg, the latest patch for AV virus defs is 7599.0000

Where can I get this data in a log file or similar that shows what level a product is at?

Once I know, then I would like to script this daily so I can see which servers didn't get the latest dat file update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Where does the 'Help' > 'About VirusScan Enterprise' get info from

Jump to solution

You can pull it from the registry, HKLM\Software\McAfee\AVEngine or for 64-bit HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\McAfee\AVEngine.  The values are in HEX but you can get both the DAT and engine versions.

6 Replies
tomz2
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Are you using ePO or is each of these deployments done standalone? If you're using ePO, you can get this data very easily as there are some built-in reports that can be used or you can take these and customize them to your need.

Jump to solution

You can pull it from the registry, HKLM\Software\McAfee\AVEngine or for 64-bit HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\McAfee\AVEngine.  The values are in HEX but you can get both the DAT and engine versions.

Jump to solution

Thank you all for your excellent and helpful input!

Jump to solution

Thank you for the replies.

I like the registry method. It is easy to check 10 servers in about 5 minutes by using Connect Remote Registry.

I am now looking at a way to 'Save' the servers I am connecting to (kind of like saving an MMC Console) vs. having to re-add/Connect Network Registry every time I open registry.

Re the ePO reporting method.

Yes, we are using an ePOserver.

It is managed elsewhere. However, I can see if they'd be willing to run the reports automatically on daily basis and send to us.

Where do I direct them into the 'reporting method' ?

tomz2
Level 11
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Ask your ePO Admins for DAT compliance reporting and also ask them for what their DAT update schedule is. Your ePO admins are going to be the best resource to help determine how to best keep your systems in compliance with applicable standards.

wwarren
Level 15
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

FYI, the most reliable methods are -

- using ePO reports

- inspecting the Application Event log; the data is written in the McLogEvent id 5000 (but note, any later McLogEvent id that is higher than 5000 is indicative of a problem)

The product uses a series of validation checks before it reports the DAT+Engine version to ePO, to ensure that it's reporting accurately that the scanner is enabled and what DAT+Engine version is loaded.

The same validation is exercised when showing data in the VSE "About" window.

Thus you can be confident those data points are accurate. Obtaining the information via other methods, e.g. registry only, does not have the same assurance of being accurate... but, it's probably accurate.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee