cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What permission levels is the VirusScan Agent running on?

Jump to solution

I was asked this question and didn't know how to answer it. The VirusScanAgent must have some permission set so that it can quarantine or delete files.Does anyone know what these permissions are or how they get set? Does anyoneknow where to check this?

Thanks for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: What permission levels is the VirusScan Agent running on?

Jump to solution

When the Agent is installed it is done with an administrative account. During installation the Agent is elevated to SYSTEM (the Windows equivalent of linux's root). All McAfee point products are installed and executed under that same priviledge level.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved from home products to ePO where I think this should be.

Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Jakeman21co,

jakeman21co wrote:

I was asked this question and didn't know how to answer it. The VirusScanAgent must have some permission set so that it can quarantine or delete files.Does anyone know what these permissions are or how they get set? Does anyoneknow where to check this?

Local System.

In fact, that is the basis for a McAfee program: 'ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit 9.4' which can be used to install other software on systems where the 'user' would not have enough rights to install.

See this discussion: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3401

Hope this helps,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thanks rmetzger. Your suggested thread doesn't really address what I need though. I am not looking to install additional software. The question asked of me (that I am asking here) is what are the McAfee Agent/ VirusScan Agents permissions. As phrased to me "The agent must have some permissions so that it can quarantine or delete a virus file right? So what are those permissions and where are they defined"

Thanks

Jump to solution

I think you are confusing the McAfee Security Agent with the actual VirusSscan application.

It's VirusScan that would do that kind of thing. The McAfee Security Agent is something else entirely.

Moving to VSE group.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I realize these are two separate agents, and I guess I wasn't clear.

The McAfee agent can be used to install the VirusScan agent via McAfee ePO. When executing this task in ePO you need to insert the credentials to be used to install the VirusScan agent (domain, username, password).

Does VirusScan inherit this users credentials? Is it always given local admin privileges so it can quarantine or delete files?

Thank you for moving this to the VirusScan thread.

Jump to solution

When the Agent is installed it is done with an administrative account. During installation the Agent is elevated to SYSTEM (the Windows equivalent of linux's root). All McAfee point products are installed and executed under that same priviledge level.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Perfect, Thank you Peter!

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

As a follow up question, is it possible to change this? If I wanted to couldI assign a user and it's associated rules instead of using the SYSTEM roles andprivileges?

I only ask because we have a requirement to have all users and processes beacting on behalf of a system user where possible.

Thanks again for your help

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community