Did you mean: 
nile2020
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

What is the name of this infection?

Hi,

Let me explain my issue to you.

I scanned my laptop with Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool and it reports an infected file during scan, then reports no

infections on completion..

I contacted a Microsoft Agent and said it's virus.

I feel like having a virus indeed.

For example, If I configured programs to start up with windows from its options and restart computer, nothing happen and

when checking the setting again found it changed.. !

The same happened when I close program and open it again"loose its configurations I made"..

This happened with many programs like Skype, Internet download manager even my Touch-pad software which made it stop working probably "tried updating drivers and the issue remains"..

I made a scan with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.v8.8 patch 4, It was 90 days trial. I updated it and scanned

with it but didn't find anything and the issue remain.

Could you please help me with that?

Thanks in advance..

Mahmoud

4 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: What is the name of this infection?

You've posted this question in the Consumer section. Is your laptop for your own use only, or is it a work laptop?

I ask because you mentioned Virus Scan Enterprise, and if this is work-related the question belongs in a different section, where someone who knows that product might be able to answer you more effectively.

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

​,

Moved from Community Support >  Business > Endpoint Security > VirusScan Enterprise > Discussions  For better assistance...

Note: This may need to be moved to Corporate User Assistance.

By

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lisa44
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

hello,

Same here.

mrt.exe with administrative prompt found 1 infected file with rapid scan and with scan in c:\windows\system32 but finished with no Threat PC clean.

here  pc windows 10 anniversary update (14393.351) with mcafee Livesafe who found nothing. defender offline found nothing either.

Is this a false positive of malicious software removal tool?

1st thought would be if you know the file name submit it to www.virustotal.com and see what the result of 50+ scanners say.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community