Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What is the name of this infection?

Let me explain my issue to you.

I scanned my laptop with Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool and it reports an infected file during scan, then reports no

infections on completion..

I contacted a Microsoft Agent and said it's virus.

I feel like having a virus indeed.

For example, If I configured programs to start up with windows from its options and restart computer, nothing happen and

when checking the setting again found it changed.. !

The same happened when I close program and open it again"loose its configurations I made"..

This happened with many programs like Skype, Internet download manager even my Touch-pad software which made it stop working probably "tried updating drivers and the issue remains"..

I made a scan with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.v8.8 patch 4, It was 90 days trial. I updated it and scanned

with it but didn't find anything and the issue remain.

Could you please help me with that?

Thanks in advance..

4 Replies
Level 18

Re: What is the name of this infection?

You've posted this question in the Consumer section. Is your laptop for your own use only, or is it a work laptop?

I ask because you mentioned Virus Scan Enterprise, and if this is work-related the question belongs in a different section, where someone who knows that product might be able to answer you more effectively.

0 Kudos
Level 20

Moved from Community Support >  Business > Endpoint Security > VirusScan Enterprise > Discussions  For better assistance...

Note: This may need to be moved to Corporate User Assistance.

McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Level 7

Same here.

mrt.exe with administrative prompt found 1 infected file with rapid scan and with scan in c:\windows\system32 but finished with no Threat PC clean.

here  pc windows 10 anniversary update (14393.351) with mcafee Livesafe who found nothing. defender offline found nothing either.

Is this a false positive of malicious software removal tool?

0 Kudos
Level 20

1st thought would be if you know the file name submit it to and see what the result of 50+ scanners say.

0 Kudos