Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 181 of 194

Re: W32/Wecorl.a 0-day?

I'm actually more worried about why we weren't hit and whether or not I have configured everything right.

pg13
Level 9
Message 182 of 194

I understand. But I think that the fact that you weren't hit is a sign that your configuration was the perfect one to have in order not to be affected.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 183 of 194

our agents are setup to delay one day since the last time McAfee screwed up with dat. But I would like to congratulate McAfee for bringing a quick solution. kudos!

kink80
Level 12
Message 184 of 194

The VSE 8.7i Patch 3 Release Notes do mention this as follows:

1. Issue: With the improved functionality of the on-access scanner memory scan, lower and middle ranged systems may see a performance impact at startup and after a successful AutoUpdate of the engine or DATs. Currently the Process on enable option is enabled by default on the shipping version of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i. McAfee recommends that in a managed environment, disable this option prior to deployment of the Patch, until the impact of memory scanning can be determined for your environment. It is not possible to maintain both the more comprehensive scanning that comes with Patch 1 and later, and the former level of scanning. Therefore, only the more comprehensive scan is used.

NOTE FOR CURRENT AND NEW USERS:
    2. The Patch installation does not modify current settings to disable the Process on enable option.

• The VirusScan 8.7i NAP and extension that are included with the Patch do change the McAfee Default policy, but do not modify the My Default policy, or any custom policy settings that were made prior to the check-in of the new NAP/extension.
    • The VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Repost with Patch now installs with the Process on enable option disabled, unless the Maximum Security option is selected during the installation.

So I guess it was luck of the draw when you installed. VSE 8.7i

Former Member
    Not applicable
    Message 185 of 194

Voici la procédure que j'ai utilisé pour corrigé le problème que j'ai eue avec 26 pc's.

À partir d'un ordi fontionnel, j'ai copier le fichier svchost.exe dans system32  ainsi que le fichier extra.dat de McAfee sur une clé USB

Démarrage du pc défectueux avec un cd comme Hiren's.

Utiliser l'option Mini Windows XP

Copier le fichier extra.dat situé sur la clé USB dans le répertoire C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine

Écraser le fichier svchost.exe du répertoire  C:\WINDOWS\system32 avec celui de la clé USB

Redémarrer l'ordi et tout devrait rentré dans l'ordre.

Nikko

Former Member
    Not applicable
    Message 186 of 194

Rather annoyed at McAfee right now as they are refusing to acknowledge that their "fix" does not help everyone. I've outlined our issues here:

http://community.mcafee.com/message/126245#126245

In reading through this thread, we are not the only ones experiencing this. KB68787 and KB68780 both falsely claim that McAfee has come up with solutions for all affected customers. They have not. There are many machines for which all of the proposed solutions are useless and are still messed up as a result of McAfee's mistake.

I fear that McAfee is now sitting content that they've solved the issue and are no longer performing proper research in order to address the remaining victims of their screw-up. I've lost enough days to this, I don't want to lose many more redoing systems from scratch because McAfee has given up on making amends.

Former Member
    Not applicable
    Message 187 of 194

Re- Sremick i refer you to the mcafee security insights blog

"We believe that this incident has impacted a small percentage of our enterprise accounts globally and a fraction of our consumer base–home users"

http://siblog.mcafee.com/support/mcafee-response-on-current-false-positive-issue/

Mcafee just what to cover over this as a small incident and not admit that this is a cock up on a grand scale. They don't have to manually fix hundreds of workstations and explain to users

why they have lost so much time due to there faulty software

SamSwift
    McAfee Retired
    McAfee Retired
    Message 188 of 194

Hi Sremick,

Are you in touch with our technical support teams about your outstanding issues?

Kind regards,

Sam

Former Member
    Not applicable
    Message 189 of 194

Re: W32/Wecorl.a 0-day? - oh the lies

This DAT update brought down my corporate work station for two days of lost productivity.  The CEO's letter "Our first priority ... working literally around the clock and around the world ... " is a total lie.  When Tier 1 support failed to help with the repair of my affected system and needed to escalate to Tier 2, I was told that Tier 2 doesn't work the weekend and I'd get a call back on Monday.  This doesn't seem to be "working around the clock...."

Anyone know where to send the bill for lost time other then the main address in Santa Clara ?

Former Member
    Not applicable
    Message 190 of 194

One system here doesn't have a working CD drive. 8.7i. Is there a way to manually fix this? The Tools menu in virusscan console

doesn't have a Rollback DATs item. I'd rather not have to invest in a flash drive just to fix this.

Message was edited by: markp on 4/27/10 5:29:53 AM CDT
    You Deserve an Award
    Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community