cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virusscan V8.7i Another problem with autoupdate

Hi,

we got strange behaviours with the autoupdate process.

We are using EPO 4.5 Server for fetching updates from McAfee into 3 different repositories. Two of them 1st named Lokales Update , 2nd named Lokales Update (Fallback) reside on W2k3 Server with IIS6 ftp service, the 3rd is a linux-based public reachable FTP-Server of our company.

On about 50% of our client workstations (mostly XP SP2, some XP SP3) the autoupdate often ends seconds after start with a failure called 'In die INI-Datei konnte nicht geschrieben werden' (The Ini-File could not be written), if we use the repositories on the W2k3 Servers.

Switching to the linux-based server will then run.

This behaviour is randomly and changes from time to time.

I attach a part of the updatelog; may be someone has any good 😉 suggestion?!

If any further details are of any use please feel free to ask.

Thank's in advance,

sincerely

Frank Marquardt

2 Replies
apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Virusscan V8.7i Another problem with autoupdate

Hello,

Please read and follow article KB 58966 to make logging more detailed.

Furthermore: does the error occur when you manually run Autoupdate task or also when Autoupdate runs on shcedule?

Attila

Re: Virusscan V8.7i Another problem with autoupdate

Sorry for not writing earlier, there's been another troubles...

Ok, something that i found out is the following:

VSE 8.7i PL3 on Windows XP Prof SP2/SP3 in a NT4 Domain will do a selfupdate under the following conditions:

- no one is logged in or an administrative account (local admin rights) is logged in

- restricted user (Poweruser) ist logged in and system is controlled by EPO Server

- restricted user is logged in and update was routed via (standard-)gateway from ftp-server

And now, the solution!!

I discovered that the setting 'Use Internet Explorer Proxy Setting' in 'Edit Autoupdate Repository|Proxysettings' is the reason for the failure!!

After setting it to 'Do not use proxy' everything is working fine now.

Maybe the different automatic detections are to much: Internet Explorer uses 'Autodetect Proxy' and in the Automatic Proxy (Java-) Script is also a detection implemented.

In Addition, that this behaviour didn't happens, if an administrative account or only the system account is logged in, is very strange... 😉

cu

Frank

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community