Highlighted
bujar
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

VirusScan Enterprise AutoUpdate fails

Jump to solution

Dear Tech Community,

I have Windows 2012 R2 running VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 patch 11, with Mcafee Agent 5.5.1.342 and ePO 5.9.1.

Several of my servers running Windows 2012 R2 are experiencing DAT update failure. The AutoUpdate service within VirusScan Enterprise failes to run properly from HTTP or from ePO. There is only one entry in the updatelog.txt.

Starting task: AutoUpdate

When I restart the server the update will work for one or two days, than it failes again. I tried to reinstall the agent from ePO and reinstall VirusScan as well, however same issue again.

I was hopping anyone could advise me how to trableshoot this problem further?

Thank you

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: VirusScan Enterprise AutoUpdate fails

Jump to solution

There are a number of things which could be causing the issue here. Considering a reboot resolves the issue, there could be a potential network issue.

If you want to look at the logs yourself, you may want to look into the mcscript log at time of the task. If you look for entries which are marked as "E" - standing for error - you might be able to see why it's failing.

If you need our assistance, you can enable debug logging for the agent and ask our McAfee Agent team colleagues to take a look: https://kb.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB82170

DAT updates are handled by the agent. The only reason it would be failing from a Virusscan perspective is if the Virusscan services aren't running. You can easily verify this with an EICAR test. If this is working fine, then the agent will need to be investigated first.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

You can find the product logs under: C:\ProgramData\McAfee > then it'll be either under Agent or Common Framework and then Logs.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
3 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

There are a number of things which could be causing the issue here. Considering a reboot resolves the issue, there could be a potential network issue.

If you want to look at the logs yourself, you may want to look into the mcscript log at time of the task. If you look for entries which are marked as "E" - standing for error - you might be able to see why it's failing.

If you need our assistance, you can enable debug logging for the agent and ask our McAfee Agent team colleagues to take a look: https://kb.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB82170

DAT updates are handled by the agent. The only reason it would be failing from a Virusscan perspective is if the Virusscan services aren't running. You can easily verify this with an EICAR test. If this is working fine, then the agent will need to be investigated first.

Was my reply helpful?
bujar
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Dear Chealy,

Thank you for quick respons.

Can you please tell whare do I find mcscript log file?

Thank you

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

You can find the product logs under: C:\ProgramData\McAfee > then it'll be either under Agent or Common Framework and then Logs.

Was my reply helpful?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.