Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zarberg
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 on laptops that rarely connect to corporate network

Jump to solution

My organization recently added quite a few new employees who are going to be working from home on laptops the vast majority of the time, they may go into the office and actually connect to an ePO server maybe two or three times per year. Normally our AV guy would field this question, but he's out for a while and I'm the backup - how does VirusScan Enterprise 8.x get definition updates when it's connected to the internet but doesn't/can't talk to an ePO server?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tristan
Level 15
Message 2 of 8

Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 on laptops that rarely connect to corporate network

Jump to solution

Within the repository list policy the last option can be McAfeeHttp which will use McAfee own managed repositories.

You could create a custom repository policy for these users and as long as they connect to the internet in some way VSE will update itself

7 Replies
Tristan
Level 15
Message 2 of 8

Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 on laptops that rarely connect to corporate network

Jump to solution

Within the repository list policy the last option can be McAfeeHttp which will use McAfee own managed repositories.

You could create a custom repository policy for these users and as long as they connect to the internet in some way VSE will update itself

zarberg
Level 10
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Tristan
Level 15
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Just to point out though...

You won't have any way of knowing whether these machines are up to date as they will not be able to report to your ePO server and therefore you don't know whether these users are protected.

About the only way of knowing is to teach the users how to find the current DAT version (right click on taskbar shield and select 'about') and get them to email the version number periodically.

Jump to solution

Will these users be using a VPN connection to work, or will it be entirely through some other mechanism? If they use a VPN, that should allow them to 'see' the network and work with ePO.

zarberg
Level 10
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

It's my understanding they will work exclusively from home with their own internet connection - no VPN.

And I'm well aware that I won't know if the machines are up to date or have a virus or other issue, I have no authority here, just responsibility.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you did want to get reporting on those machines (especially for PCI reasons) outside your corporate network, you might look into setting up a agent handler outside your network.  Set one up in your DMZ, for example.

Message was edited by: johlee991 on 8/23/12 3:53:57 PM CDT

Jump to solution

This is an excellent use case to place an Agent Handler in your DMZ. That way laptops on the Internet can connect to your ePO ecosystem all the time. This will give you all the compliance information you desire.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community