Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 38

RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 8 Release Notes

I have also just started testing this Patch.

On my test systems, Mcshield.exe was running between 112MB and 113MB. Just like Patch 7, the system remained non-responsive for about 3 minutes while the patch was being installed. This has always been a problem for me, since we can't always deploy at night since 1/2 the users turn their systems off. Our upper management want the users to shut their computers off so as to save money. The only time that I can deploy is at lunchtime and hope that the user is not sitting at their desk surfing the internet as they might wonder why their system just become slow.

Not too sure why on some systems Mcshield consume say over 100MB and on others say about 23MB. On my office system is only uses 24K. We still have a lot of older systems across campus running 256MB Ram which can cause issues. I wish that McAfee could address the problem with memory with McShield.
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 22 of 38

Memory Usage - Patch 8

After deploying patch 8 we saw memory usage for mcshield drop to about 38MB. Before the patch we were at ~120MB. I did not see any memory references/improvements in the release notes. Any one else see improvement?
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 38

RE: Memory Usage - Patch 8

I just went back to the test boxes and noticed that the Mcshield process finally did go down to about 32MB.

After lunch, I noticed that on these 4 systems that the McShield process went back up to about 111MB. I did notice that they all had pulled in the daily DAT 5537. Not too sure why it varies sometimes.
Highlighted

"LowerWorkingThreadPriority"=dword:00000001

Reg, Henno.
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 25 of 38

Patch 8 can be downloaded from the McAfee support site (http://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice/DownloadSoftwareList.aspx).

Regards,
LFAH2000.
Highlighted

When are patches released....

jmaxwell, I usually use the following link to have an idea on release dates.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51109&actp=LIST_POPULAR

Under System Security Patch Release it even spells out when to expect updates.

While not an exact date, these links do lay out the process.
Highlighted

RE: When are patches released....

Many thanks - I'll bookmark that link 🙂

Jim
Level 9
Message 28 of 38

Does anyone know when the repost of VSE 8.5 incl. P8 will happen?
Highlighted

I'm doing testing of Patch 8 as well, and I've noticed that the McShield.exe process has not improved at all. It was taking up approximately 110 MB in memory, and has remained at that same amount after applying it. I've been running Patch 8 on two powerful computers (one desktop and one laptop with 4 GB RAM each) for a couple weeks now, and haven't seen it dip below 100 MB.

Wish I experienced an improvement in this. sad
Highlighted

i've just installed Patch 8 on my VSE8.5i, Agent 4.0.0.1345. I get the following problem :
McShield Service wouldnt start no matter what I do. OAS cannot run as a result.

any resolution besides removing patch 8?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community