cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirusScan 8.7i removes Windows Defender, why?

I noticed that when you install 8.7i, it has you uninstall Windows Defender if you have it. Is there a particular reason why? Any articles i find just say it asks you to uninstall it, giving no reason.
35 Replies

RE: VirusScan 8.7i removes Windows Defender, why?

I suspect because they can offer the same sort of functionality for anti spyware?

Im in 2 minds as to wether to remove defender or not - ive seen no ill effects leaving it on, but wonder if its hampers performance having both?

I'd really like to know as well. Rather interesting since Defender is antispyware and VirusScan is only antivirus in its base package...
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 36

It disables it because of possible conflicts. You can re-enable it afterwards.

OK, so basically its just conflicts during install. Wish it was a little clearer during the install process or documented somewhere.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Agreed.
McAfee Employee kthomas
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 36

Re: VirusScan 8.7i removes Windows Defender, why?

Good day to you all,

I need to make you all aware that there are known issues when McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is installed with Microsoft Defender. McAfee does not provide support for any computer running two anti-virus products. This is the same for any AV vendor.

I found a known issue artcle to back this up.

KB51224- Performance issues after installing Total Protection - Anti-Virus, or VirusScan Enterprise (issue: Microsoft Windows Defender)

Additional Information articles:
     KB55114- Competitor products removed during installation of VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i
     KB60252- Third party products that are uninstalled during the VSE 8.7i installation process

Kevin
Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
Web: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 36

kthomas wrote:

McAfee does not provide support for any computer running two anti-virus products. This is the same for any AV vendor.

Just to clarify.  Windows Defender is anti-spyware not anti-virus.  It is disabled by any McAfee installation but can be re-enabled with no dire consequences.

Yeah, Defender is anti-spyware, not sure why that guy (from McAfee guessing by his logo) would say Defender is anti-virus.  I haven't noticed any issues running both at all.  Have ran Defender with out anti-virus software as well, no problems.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Probably a stock reply when in practice it works fine.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community