I have same issue
When start dat update EngineServer.exe use 100% cpu about 5 min.
And when finish back to normal...
Epo agent 3.6 and agent 184.108.40.2060, Virusscan 8.7 patch2.
Message was edited by: snefi on 11/20/09 1:14 AM
Chat with gold support and i got answare:
Its normal. when start dat update engineserver.exe high cpu usage is normal, and no hotfix or registry settings for control cpu usage.
As a work around using ePo I have disabled global updating and allowed the definition updates to only run after hours. I also, forced "run missed event." If a user has turned off his/her machine then they will get the latest DAT once they turn it on, and interrupt the workflow. If they left it on then they will get the newest without even being on the PC. Would rather have it fixed, but this helps in the interim.Message was edited by: jmorgan0407 on 11/20/09 2:35 PM
Same horrible issue here. Scheduling the updates at night helps for some, but we have a lot of laptops be taken home. Folks come into the office, log on, and ouch, the system comes to a crawl. EngineServer.exe taking most of the CPU and hangs Outlook, Word and most other apps. Unacceptable.
The fact that this did not happen with 8.5 is a clear indication that it IS A PROBLEM that should be fixed. I'm exploring ways to roll back to 8.5, just what I needed...
I agree the 5400 engine should be installed for concerns with the engineserver.exe I would also suggest testing lower the process priority for either Virusscan or the agent. The link below talks about how to do this. It refers to policy enforcement, my thoughts are that the updating process will be affected because of a shared component. With this change in place the updating process should take a back seat to user processes.
Hope this helps.
Please try to work with Support in collecting supporting information that captures the concerning behavior.
If EngineServer is using more memory than expected, capture a process dump (such as using the tool "DebugDiag" from Microsoft).
Also helpful is the use of Perfmon, if monitoring the Process object (all instances) which will demonstrate the behavior of processes over time.
And of course, the standard data collection tool (MER).
I've spoken to support in the past about this and not got very far. I can't replicate the issue, sometimes a laptop will run fine other times it won't. It doesn't affect all machines either, for instance I don't have this issue on my desktop.
One common feature seems to be that it is mainly laptops which are affected, although as most of my users have laptops in my department this is not conclusive. As they are laptops I have had difficulty in getting hold of them to do full testing. I have had reports that even when a laptop is not connect to a network it still has the same issue.
Seeing the same with performance issues. Mainly during the DAT update, engineserver.exe and mcshield.exe swap back and forth hogging the CPU. After doing some more research I also notice that the majority of the people complaining of the issue are also running on laptops.