Did you mean: 
snefi
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 26

Re: Virus Scan Performance Issues

Hello

I have same issue

When start dat update EngineServer.exe  use 100% cpu about 5 min.

And when finish back to normal...

Epo agent 3.6 and agent 4.5.0.1270, Virusscan 8.7 patch2.

Gabor Sneff

Message was edited by: snefi on 11/20/09 1:14 AM
snefi
Level 7
Message 12 of 26

Hello

Chat with gold support and i got answare:

Its normal. when start dat update engineserver.exe high cpu usage is normal, and no hotfix or registry settings for control cpu usage.

Gabor Sneff

Same issues here.

As a work around using ePo I have disabled global updating and allowed the definition updates to only run after hours.  I also, forced "run missed event."  If a user has turned off his/her machine then they will get the latest DAT once they turn it on, and interrupt the workflow.  If they left it on then they will get the newest without even being on the PC.  Would rather have it fixed, but this helps in the interim.

Message was edited by: jmorgan0407 on 11/20/09 2:35 PM

Same horrible issue here.  Scheduling the updates at night helps for some, but we have a lot of laptops be taken home.  Folks come into the office, log on, and ouch, the system comes to a crawl.  EngineServer.exe taking most of the CPU and hangs Outlook, Word and most other apps.   Unacceptable.

The fact that this did not happen with 8.5 is a clear indication that it IS A PROBLEM that should be fixed.  I'm exploring ways to roll back to 8.5, just what I needed...

wsanford
Level 10
Message 16 of 26

Anthony,

I agree the 5400 engine should be installed for concerns with the engineserver.exe  I would also suggest testing lower the process priority for  either Virusscan or the agent. The link below talks about how to do this. It refers to policy enforcement, my thoughts are that the updating process will be affected because of a shared component. With this change in place the updating process should take a back seat to user processes.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66971&actp=search&searchid=1258820942621

Hope this helps.

William

snefi
Level 7
Message 17 of 26

Hello

set registry setting but have same issue.

Gabor Sneff

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 26

Please try to work with Support in collecting supporting information that captures the concerning behavior.

If EngineServer is using more memory than expected, capture a process dump (such as using the tool "DebugDiag" from Microsoft).

Also helpful is the use of Perfmon, if monitoring the Process object (all instances) which will demonstrate the behavior of processes over time.

And of course, the standard data collection tool (MER).

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

I've spoken to support in the past about this and not got very far.  I can't replicate the issue, sometimes a laptop will run fine other times it won't.  It doesn't affect all machines either, for instance I don't have this issue on my desktop.

One common feature seems to be that it is mainly laptops which are affected, although as most of my users have laptops in my department this is not conclusive.  As they are laptops I have had difficulty in getting hold of them to do full testing.  I have had reports that even when a laptop is not connect to a network it still has the same issue.

Highlighted
SeaCat
Level 7
Message 20 of 26

Seeing the same with performance issues.  Mainly during the DAT update, engineserver.exe and mcshield.exe swap back and forth hogging the CPU.  After doing some more research I also notice that the majority of the people complaining of the issue are also running on laptops.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community