Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
splash
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 18

Virus Scan 8.8 slowing down machines with daily update

Hi

Im having a problem where the daily update to the virus scan, where it dramatically slows down the XP machine while its going on.

In our environment we have one main AV server which pushes out the updates to about 6 distributed repositories (all server 2003 boxes) in our regional offices, then at 1PM each day i have the update set to run on peoples machine (except for one office which has it when people log in). Ive set it flash up the box so people know its doing an update but while its doing the update the XP machines grind to a halt!

Surely a daily update shouldnt big that large that it makes the machine unusable?

On the schedule for the anti virus update is as follows:

Stop the task if it runs for 10 minutes

Enable randomization of 15 minutes

Run missed task 20 minute delay

It run Monday to Friday

Any suggestions to speed this up would be great

Thanks

17 Replies
Stanw
Level 7
Message 2 of 18

Re: Virus Scan 8.8 slowing down machines with daily update

Try excluding file type DAT from the On-Access scanner.

Stanw
Level 7
Message 3 of 18

You can also try adding mcscript_inuse.exe to low risk processes.

splash
Level 9
Message 4 of 18

Thanks Stanw

Ive excluded .*dat files from the On-Access Default Processes policy & added mcscript_inuse.exe to the On-Access Low-Risk Processes policy so i will roll this out to a few test machines and see how i get on.

Thanks

Stanw
Level 7
Message 5 of 18

You should see some positive results on your test machines.

I've had all kinds of crazy high CPU issues with mcafee procceses, since going to v8.8 patch 1.  Added many exclusions to try and resolve the issue, some help.

Problem children processes:  mcshield.exe, mfevtps.exe, and mcscript_inuse.exe.

splash
Level 9
Message 6 of 18

just thought i would ask, how comes it doesnt tend to affect the Windows 7 machines we have as much as the XP ones?

My Windows 7 machine is just the same hardware as the XP apart from having 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB, surely that 1GB of extra RAM isnt going to help with the update?

pierce
Level 13
Message 7 of 18

You should find the McAfee VSE best pratice guides. it gives lots of hints and tips on how to improve performance, since I made my policy follow this guide performance has been much better!

splash
Level 9
Message 8 of 18

thanks I will check it out now

splash
Level 9
Message 9 of 18

Hi Guys

Ive gone through the best practise for VSE and made exclusions that stanw mentioned, but still the XP machines suffer severely when the daily AV update runs.

While its running McScript_inUse.exe uses about 400Mb of memory and can take up to 95%, then once it has finished updating the mcshield.exe takes over hogging up the CPU for a few minutes.

The weird thing is, as i said in my first comment, it only really affect XP. Windows 7 machines using practically using the same hardware can still work while the update is going on

Thanks

amjad
Level 7
Message 10 of 18

experiencing the same issue with XP and McAfee i fear to shutdown my laptop and only make it on standby option so that i may save 10-15 minutes at the startup and taking control over my machine. Dont know its McAfee issue or XP issue but i am really hurting

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community