Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kire98
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Virus Scan 8.7i Issue after installing Patch 2

All,

I have an interesting problem.  I have EPO Agent 4.5, HIPS 7.0, Site Advisor Plus 3.0 and Virus Scan 8.7i installed on my PC.  They were all working correctly.  I am the administrator for EPO on our network and I often use myself\PC as a test before rolling out other updates and so on.  I recently installed SP2 for Virus Scan (updated the Extensions in the console as well) and now it seems there is an issue.   When I click my Agent icon in the system try and look at "Managed Features" Virus Scan is no longer listed there and there is an exlimation beside the "View Security Status".  So I click that and it says "Issue Detected" and it has Virus Scan listed.  It says "See Access Protection log".  So when I open VSE Console and view the Access Protection log it is blank.  I dont even know where to start troubleshooting this issue.  Any ideas?

Thanks a million

Erik

8 Replies
Grif
Level 10
Message 2 of 9

Re: Virus Scan 8.7i Issue after installing Patch 2

And you've rebooted the computer since installing the service pack? And you've got the 5400 scan engine installed? Without such, it can cause problems.

After installing SP2, have you also installed the hotfix 517265?

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67118

It may be necessary to reset the security settings in Access Protection as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Message was edited by: Grif on 1/11/10 11:20:58 AM PST
kire98
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the response Grif.  I have rebooted and I am on the latest Engine and DAT.  However I will look at that article and hot fix.   I also noticed that I did not do this part of the steps for installing VSE Patch 2.  I simply overlooked it.

Repeat the checkin process for the VIRUSCANREPORTS.zip reports extension

Hopefully you suggestion or checking in that VirusScanReports.zip will correct the issue.  I will let you know.

Grif
Level 10
Message 4 of 9

As the Hotfix deals with issues where both Agent 4.5 and VS 8.7i SP2 are installed on the machine, it's a good possiblity it will help.

Let us know.

Grif

Highlighted

Hi

I would suggest installing VSE Patch 2 repost BUT using the ePO extensions packaged with Patch 2 (not the repost).

HTH

kire98
Level 7
Message 6 of 9

I am placing a call today with McAfee because this has become an emergency problem.  Somehow Patch 2 was pushed to the entire company last night.  So every machine now has this issue.  I will be sure to post the resolution so everyone can benefit from my mistake\learning expirence.

Message was edited by: kire98 on 1/12/10 1:47:46 PM GMT-05:00
kire98
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Well according to McAfee support there is no issue.  The reason why Virus Scan was not showing as a managed feature was because we have the "Minimal Menu" options set for the User Interface VSE Policy.  Even though the policy was set to minimal prior to patch 2 and VSE was showing under managed features.  The Rep also stated that alert showing under the "View Security Status" may be related to HIPS.  Even though it says there is an Issue with Virus Scan.

Also the reason my entire company received patch 2 was because I checked the package in and, by default, the agents are set to check for those type of updates every day.

Does this sound legitimate to everyone else?

Message was edited by: kire98 on 1/12/10 3:13:08 PM GMT-05:00
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 9

It all sounds legit, apart from the note about a VSE alert actually coming from HIPs.

There were changes made in Patch 2 in how it interacts with the McAfee Agent (version 4.5), which has surprised more than just yourself.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
kire98
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

Well I am going to close this thread as everything seems to be ok aside from the Security Status as discussed.  Thank you to all that replied.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community