cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Machine Protection Questions

This might seem like a no brainer questions, but I would like to know what McAfee's definition is of a virtual machine.

My reasoning is that we are currently deploying VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) at work. Basically we use thin stations that connect to a VM server. Most of the users desktops are "non_persistent" desktops, meaning that once they log off the machine it is destroyed.

I have not found much info on what exactly can be done to monitor, deploy or work with VirusScan on VDM's.

We are currently using 8.5 patch 6 on Epo 4.0 and I would like to upgrade to 8.7 if there is any major benefits, especially with regards to VDM's/

Does anyone have any insight or maybe you are deploying McAfee to VM systems and have some feedback.

Thanks for your time,

Kevin
5 Replies

VDI and VirusScan 8.7

We deployed VDI with Mcafee and had major problems with CPU spikes when they got their daily updates. I have not seen must post on this at all.

EPO 4.0
VirusScan 8.7 + 8.7 Spyware

RE: VDI and VirusScan 8.7

This is why I am reluctant to upgrade to 8.7 at this time.

We currently get spikes in the CPU and memory and are trying to not increase the memory on all systems. We are currently running at 640mb on most Virtual Desktops, but when the updates come in the systems can crawl (this happens even on regular desktops).
Mcafee suggests we upgrade to 8.7, but not is it is going to make it even slower.

It would be nice if mcshield didn't use a lot of memory. We will be running tests on systems for running 8.7 patch 1 and see if there are any differences.

Support for VDI

Just found found out that VDI's are not suppoted with VSE (any version) sad

RE: Support for VDI

We are able to get McAfee to work properly in VDI.

Our main concern is the performance issues that are accompanied with McAfee.

Re: Support for VDI

Re: "Just found found out that VDI's are not suppoted with VSE (any version)"

Is there any published article that confirms this statement?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community