cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Virsus Scan not functioning - Upgrade failed?

I have a Dell desktop that came installed [around 5 years back] with Mcfee Virus.  It was actually installed under Network Associates.  Everything had been working fine but in the last 2 weeks I have been getting the error message shown in the attached.

Virtual Technician doesn't find the product.

After a few attempts you can get the VSHield working.  The directory shows a new engine - see attached

Help

Labels (1)
10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Virsus Scan not functioning - Upgrade failed?

What version of VirusScan is this - from the document you posted it appears to be an old version of VirusScan Enterprise?

Highlighted

Could be but as I can't open the main app to view the About I can't tell.

Any other way of telling?

Highlighted

If it is enterprise 4.5.1 the manual removal steps posted by Grif here are maybe a thought. Check the files to see if it is that version.

Highlighted

Yes. Right-click one of the .exe files in those folders,  Properties/Details should give that information.

Highlighted
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 11

Hi,
Check what name it reflects for mcafee under add/remove programs !!

Thanks,
Dinesh K
Mcafee Online Community Moderator

Highlighted

Dinz

If you check back you will see that the attached showed the folders used - installed under Network Associates.

This was my wife's machine when she worked for Luekaemia Research.  When she left we bought the machine.  Have the Dell install disks but not the Mcfee.

If the answer is uninstall as I can't re-install I'll go and buy Norton:)

Highlighted
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

If you says its network associates , its an enterprise program, I shall move you post to the appropriate community where someone could help you.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

Highlighted

Network Associates could also be a  very old home product which the removal tool probably wont have any effect on.

Try Technical Support Chat and ask them to escalate the case if necessary.  Unfortunately due to the new layout here I can't find the removal tools for products older than 2006.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=4105&sg=TS

Alter the country if necessary at top right.

Highlighted

As it was a work PC it probably is 4.5.1 and the folder structure is the same as 4.5.1 removal instructions show..If 4.5.1 it definately is end of life and as far as we have been told  the new engine 5400 will not work with it.

Right click the shield icon and choose about does it say 4.5.1?

Why not buy the current mcafee version it is about to be updated to a new version soon and this is quite nice and stable.  You have had a good  run using the current version. Of course the decision is yours.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/27/09 10:45 PM
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community