cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE8.8 Policies not enforced with ePO4.6.1

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a test install of ePO4.6.1 running on a Win2K8R2 server, and VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 running on the same server, managed by ePO. 
This server is in a System Tree subgroup called 'Test', and I have a VSE general options policy called 'VSE General Options test' which is a duplicate of 'McAfee Default' with the following two options changed:

- Display Managed Tasks in the client console
- Disable default Autoupdate task schedule

This policy has then been assigned to the 'Test' subgroup in the system tree.  This has been saved, and I used the 'Check New Policies' option in the McAfee Agent Monitor, which showed that a new policy had been downloaded.

All good so far, but when I go into the VirusScan console, the AutoUpdate task is still present and enabled, and a test on-demand scan client test that I had configured in ePO and assigned to the subgroup is not present.  I tried configuring a password in the general options, but this doesnt appear to be pushed out either...

Had a quick check around and stumbled across KB66652, but from what I can see the section names look fine in the policy XML (attached).  I saw a few other posts on the communitiy and elsewhere with *similar* issues but not the same...

Has anybody come across this, or does anybody have any ideas of what could be causing this? 

Thanks in advance,

Server: Win2k8R2 (not a domain member)
Managed agent is 4.6.0.1694
VSE is 8.8.0.849
ePO is 4.6.1 (Build 1192)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VSE8.8 Policies not enforced with ePO4.6.1

Jump to solution

Most (all?) VSE policies have a drop-down where you select "Workstation" or "Server".  Make sure you are setting the options on the "Server" setting.

7 Replies

Jump to solution

Most (all?) VSE policies have a drop-down where you select "Workstation" or "Server".  Make sure you are setting the options on the "Server" setting.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Bah!  I already knew that aswell!

Interestingly enough, this has fixed my password protection issue, but it still doesnt appear to be taking any notice of the managed tasks and autoupdate settings (still present and enabled in the console).  To confirm, I set both sections in the policy to 'server' :-)

Any ideas?

Jump to solution

I don't know why it would apply some of the policy but not all of it.  Maybe those two options need a restart?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Managed task didnt appear after first reboot, but did pop up after second...  May run some further tests with this one!

Autoupdate task is now disabled (didnt check this after first reboot, but it appears to be disabled now).  Worth noting that it can still be run manually from the console, which may not be wanted in a centrally managed environment (may want to control in low bandwidth environments that may die if more than 35 .gems out of date, but I think they may have other problems to look after if this is the case!)

Cheers for the responses!

Jump to solution

Somewhere in the forums and/or Knowledge Base there is info about how to remove the Autoupdate task from the console.  It is either a registry change or deleting a file, I can't remember which.  I agree with you, there should be an easier way to remove or disable it.

Jump to solution

https://community.mcafee.com/message/207294#207294 seems to have turned it off with a script via a regedit tweak.  I am assuming that removing the key in question would remove it from the task list completely.

Cheers for all the responses!

Jump to solution

This is an old thread I know....I am having this same issue and when I looked at my policies they are set to workstations.  When I switch to servers I don't have the option to save the policy.  Does anyone know what I need to do with this?