cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mal09
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

VSE "Lock User Interface" and policy enforcement through EPO.

Jump to solution

I've noticed this behaviour with VSE 8.5i, and 8.7i and curious about the behaviour. It doesn't sound right - but seems to either be "by design" or a bug that has lasted a very long time. Not really sure if it's an CMA issue or a VSE issue - I'm assuming the latter.

On an EPO Managed desktop, with VSE 8.7i/8.5i installed (and various CMA agents), I have a policy through EPO (User Interface Properties) to enforce "Tools/User Interface Options/Password Options/Password protection for conformance to Common Criteria" and a password set. This locks the VSE client and stops end users mucking around with settings.

If I unlock a console on a desktop using the password, then I can modify settings etc. At CMA policy enforcement time, the settings that I have modified are returned to their default settings - but the console is still unlocked.

If however, while the console is unlocked, I modify the "Password Options" to "no password", then when policy enforcement occurs, the console is locked again and the setting reverted to "Password protection for conformance to Common Criteria". If I change that setting to "Password protection for all items listed" or "Password protection for all selected items" and then force a policy enforcement, the console remains unlocked.

I would assume that the expected behaviour during policy enforcement would be to lock the Console again.

Do others replicate this too? Known issue? By Design? Bug?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: VSE "Lock User Interface" and policy enforcement through EPO.

Jump to solution

Hi

Please see McAfee KnowledgeBase article KB65476.

HTH

on 15/07/10 10:47:49 IST
4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi

Please see McAfee KnowledgeBase article KB65476.

HTH

on 15/07/10 10:47:49 IST
Mal09
Level 12
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Ta for the KB article.

akl71
Level 10
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

The KB article says "The console should be locked after a policy enforcement." but on my machines the console remains unlocked (like in KB58116), i always need to lock the console via user interface.

Jump to solution

The article says it should be locked because that is what it should do by design. McAfee are investigating why this does not happen and hope to provide a fix for this as soon as possible. In the mean while, please use the workaround. The article will be updated as soon as a fix becomes available.

HTH

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community