cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VSE for storage volume evaluation

Jump to solution

Hi Heroes,

We are estimating how many VSE for Storage servers needs to be deployed.

Can you share your experience on this? 

We currently have 7 network storages, 4 netapp and 3 hp (HP_3PAR 8440), the overall IOPS is about 180Mbps.

I'm trying to go through the documents but didnt find any best practice things or volume estimation suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: VSE for storage volume evaluation

Jump to solution

Hi @User21257322 ,

Yes, "one scanner" means "one VSE Storage Server".
The KB mentions the best practice. The actual load experienced ultimately determines the scanner count. 
When the number of "VSE Storage Servers" (A VSES scanner) is small, the IO time for scanning may have an impact on storage performance. We recommend testing with storage in your environment.

Regards,

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @User21257322 ,

Thank you for posting on the Community.

For the number of VSE for Storage servers, please refer to the following knowledge information for reference.

Best practices for configuring the required number of VirusScan Enterprises for Storage scanners
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81962

FAQs for VirusScan Enterprise for Storage
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78672
> Functionality

Best regards,

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Does "one scanner" means "one VSE Storage Server"? if yes then as per the KB you mentioned we will at least need to deploy 12 servers!!! that is really a lot of servers......

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @User21257322 ,

Yes, "one scanner" means "one VSE Storage Server".
The KB mentions the best practice. The actual load experienced ultimately determines the scanner count. 
When the number of "VSE Storage Servers" (A VSES scanner) is small, the IO time for scanning may have an impact on storage performance. We recommend testing with storage in your environment.

Regards,

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sorry on more question here, will the full file be transferred to VSES for scanning, or only the part of the file or metadata of the file be transferred to VSES for scanning? thanks.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community