cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: RE: VSE exclusions when upgrading to XP SP3

sgrimmel wrote:

Please see KB52800 - Support statement for VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i and Microsoft Windows XP SP3 for instructions and info.

KB52800 doesn't give the whole story.  By linking to KB50998 it incorrectly directs the reader to create file exclusions for the four listed processes by editing the "On-Access Scanner" exclusions.  Doing this will not fix the problem (at least not when running VS 8.7i P2) and you end up with a ton of garbage registry keys under HKLM\System\(CurrentControlSet|ControlSet001|ControlSet002)\mfe*\ .

What it should state is that the exclusions need to be defined under the following two locations:

1. McAfee Console -> Access Protection -> Access Protection Rules -> highlight "Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings" -> Edit .
  2. McAfee Console -> Access Protection -> Access Protection Rules -> highlight "Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings" -> Edit .

I wasted a lot of time today testing exclusions under McAfee Console -> On Access Protection -> "All Processses" -> Exclusions...

Hopefully my wasted time today will help prevent others from going down the wrong path.

Someone should update KB52800 to point out these problems.

P.S. FYI,  only had to put in a single exclusion for "fixccs.exe" in order to get SP3 to install without issues.  (I did not need to add exclusions for the other 3 processes listed in the above KB article)

Message was edited by: Scissor on 3/2/10 6:04:36 PM GMT-08:00
sgrimmel
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 15

Hi

Thank you for your feedback. This article was not as clear as it should have been and changes have now been made to address this. The updated article should be published by close of business today. Many thanks.

HTH

Nensi
Level 7
Message 13 of 15

Hi friends, I am first time here and really found ti good by all means, Infact the topic is good to read and and sending this page to my other firends because they are always asking me for the good resources to read out

sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 14 of 15

Hi

Thank you for your feedback. We all work hard to make the communities all they can be.

Please do not hesitate to vote up solutions so others know what works best.

Many thanks

RE: VSE exclusions when upgrading to XP SP3

The name of the process to be excluded is almost certainly incorrect in the above article as the warnings in my log files relate to fixccs.exe and NOT fixcss.exe
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community