Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kblowe
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

VSE On Demand Scan folder and registry path don't exist

Jump to solution

VSE On Demand Scan folder or registry paths doesn't exist for on-demand scan scheduled ePO tasks. There are logs stating the scan is running and completing, but there is no folder or registry path for our ePO on-deman scans.

Path doesn't exist:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Task
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application DataNetwork Associates\Common Framework\Task

Registry path doesn't exist:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks

But I found this path with non of the VSE On-Demand scan client task I created, only the default scans.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Woe6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks

Help, how am I to verify via registry entry.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Re: VSE On Demand Scan folder and registry path don't exist

Jump to solution

There are several existing KB's that can be reviewed to validate that the presented information is accurate.  I have listed a few of those below.  The GUIDS under the "Tasks" registry key are not unique from system to system, meaning that every default task will add the same task GUID.  We can also further validate the information by adding a new task within the VSE console, and then checking the "Tasks" key for a newly created GUID associated with that task.  The values for those GUID (tasks) keys are the settings configured within the task.  When adding an ePO managed task to a system, we will not see a new GUID (tasks) key created.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66023

Pertinent section/information from the above KB:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks]

Each Task is assigned a unique GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier). You require the GUID task containing the name of  your On-Demand Scan.

The default ODS task has a GUID of  {21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2}

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52680

If changing the task settings does not affect the randomized time for the task, ensure the settings are being applied to the task in the Windows registry.
Click Start, Run, type regedit, then click OK.
Navigate to the registry key: [HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\{21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2}].

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50511

This KB article is probably the most direct in answering the concern.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

@kblowe

Did you manage to find the Globally Unique IDentifier allocated for the ODS task?

You may verify the GUID from the below location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks
{21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2} - This would be the standard GUID for ODS task.

If you can see this GUID and still the ODS task is invisible, then my recommendation would be to perform a repair installation from local machine if the machines are less in numbers.

I wish you good luck.

Cheers!!!!

Venu
kblowe
Level 8
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

The default is there. But the ePO managed tasks GUID's are not in the registry.

Again. This location you mentioned HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks

is incorrect!!!.

This is across multiple ePO's uninstalling and reinstalling VSE is not an option on 2000 systems

McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

The mentioned registry key location is only for non-managed, default added tasks (those we see within the console upon installation).

If we can clarify what the ask is, I might be able to provide a more suitable method of tracking what needs to be tracked.  Are we looking for a method to verify that managed On-Demand Scan tasks are executing/completing within the environment?  If yes, then we can track this through a query that pulls event ID's 1202 (ODS started), and 1203 (ODS completed) events.

Highlighted
kblowe
Level 8
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned the registry key location is only for non-managed, default added tasks (those we see within the console upon installation). Is that information in KB article somewhere? I need verification via email from McAfee or at least a KB stating that the registry key location for the VSE ODS is only for non-managed.

McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

There are several existing KB's that can be reviewed to validate that the presented information is accurate.  I have listed a few of those below.  The GUIDS under the "Tasks" registry key are not unique from system to system, meaning that every default task will add the same task GUID.  We can also further validate the information by adding a new task within the VSE console, and then checking the "Tasks" key for a newly created GUID associated with that task.  The values for those GUID (tasks) keys are the settings configured within the task.  When adding an ePO managed task to a system, we will not see a new GUID (tasks) key created.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66023

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks]

Each Task is assigned a unique GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier). You require the GUID task containing the name of  your On-Demand Scan.

The default ODS task has a GUID of  {21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2}

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52680

If changing the task settings does not affect the randomized time for the task, ensure the settings are being applied to the task in the Windows registry.
Click Start, Run, type regedit, then click OK.
Navigate to the registry key: [HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\{21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2}].

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50511

This KB article is probably the most direct in answering the concern.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator