XLS
XTP
XX?
Z0M
ZI?
ZIP
ZL?
ZZZ

As far as I know "?" is a placeholder for ONE character. 

So my question is: Are files with more than 3 characters. E.g.: xlsx, docx scanned as well? Or do I need to maintain the additions manually?

Kind regards

LS

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee johma
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: VSE On Access Scanner Default + Additional File Types

Jump to solution

HI LS31855 Report, 

q: Are files with more than 3 characters. E.g.: xlsx, docx scanned as well?

Yes, only the first 3 characters are parsed, the rest are irrelevent and the files if a match is made will be scanned accordingly. 

However, I would be very weary of using "Default FIles"  policy now as it will let some threat's though. For example, if I send you a HTML doc that includes an HTML infection vector, then most likely this will be caught ( for the sake of argument here ). 

If I sent you an HTML document, with a malicious embedded Java component, this would get through and most likely infect your system where "Default FIles" is selected.

We have only recommended the use of "all files" scanning since 2006 as malware has also evolved over this time. the difference being that "all files" scans "all files" against "all threat types.

the only caveat against this is where you specify additional types, then these additions are scanned as if "all files" was selected and only relative to the extension attacks are scanned for all the others. 

As hardware has advanced in the past 10+ years then there is no so much need to used these settings where paerfomance was an issue.  If performance is an issue then there are other more safe ways to work with High and Low Risk Processes. 

If you are happy with the additional risk, then carry on but I could not recommend this configuration. 

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
1 Reply
McAfee Employee johma
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: VSE On Access Scanner Default + Additional File Types

Jump to solution

HI LS31855 Report, 

q: Are files with more than 3 characters. E.g.: xlsx, docx scanned as well?

Yes, only the first 3 characters are parsed, the rest are irrelevent and the files if a match is made will be scanned accordingly. 

However, I would be very weary of using "Default FIles"  policy now as it will let some threat's though. For example, if I send you a HTML doc that includes an HTML infection vector, then most likely this will be caught ( for the sake of argument here ). 

If I sent you an HTML document, with a malicious embedded Java component, this would get through and most likely infect your system where "Default FIles" is selected.

We have only recommended the use of "all files" scanning since 2006 as malware has also evolved over this time. the difference being that "all files" scans "all files" against "all threat types.

the only caveat against this is where you specify additional types, then these additions are scanned as if "all files" was selected and only relative to the extension attacks are scanned for all the others. 

As hardware has advanced in the past 10+ years then there is no so much need to used these settings where paerfomance was an issue.  If performance is an issue then there are other more safe ways to work with High and Low Risk Processes. 

If you are happy with the additional risk, then carry on but I could not recommend this configuration. 

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator