cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 17

VSE Engine 5600 released, upgrade recommendations?

Jump to solution

Hey,

Just got the SNS notification of the new anti malware engine being released (below for reference)

This is my first engine update, would you recommend a big bang approach or treat it like a hotfix/patch and roll it out in batches testing along the way?

Thanks,

Pierce

The McAfeeAnti-Malware Engine 5600 is now available. The 5600 Engine succeeds the current5400/5500 Anti-Malware Engine(s).

The McAfee Anti-MalwareEngine 5600 is available from the McAfee Security Update page at http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx.

This releaseincludes the following improvements:

DetectionEnhancements

• Enhancements     to Portable Document File (PDF) scanning to improve exploit detection     capabilities    
  • Enhancements     to Office file format scanning to improve exploit detection capabilities
  • File     decomposition support for Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) file format
  • Enhanced     unpacking to detect more threats

PerformanceEnhancements

• DAT     loading and updating improvement for faster incremental DAT processing
  • General     performance optimizations targeting initialization, updating, and scanning
  • Performance     enhancements to Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) scanning

PlatformEnhancements

• New     platforms: Win8, Win2012, FreeBSD 8.x, Linux Kernel 3.x, HP-UX Itanium     11.2, and 11.3    
  • End     Of Life (EOL): HP UX 11.0, Mac OSX 10.2.8, 10.3.9, Novell Netware, and     Microsoft Windows NT4

For moredetails on the 5600 Engine RTW schedule, see KB66741 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66741).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: VSE Engine 5600 released, upgrade recommendations?

Jump to solution

>>Why can't this be delivered though normal DAT update with-in ePO?

It will be 90 days from now. Engines are always delivered as optional downloads (RTW) and then followed 90 days later as part of the auto-update content. This gives people who want to test the engine in their environment 90 days to poke at it. If you do nothing it should just flow like a DAT update 90 days later.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Level 10
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

Hi,

I will deploy it in a Test Environment.

But for me the Update is not available. Only the Engine 5400 is available for download.

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

Just double checked its not yet there for me either.

No problem makes sense to test I just wasnt sure how these updates work and how likely they are to break things.

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 4 of 17

Jump to solution

updated SNS to say it will be released by end of day today instead.

Highlighted
Level 14
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution

To install VSE Engine 5600, follow this KB

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50530

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

Hey Alexn, thats a smiliar link from the SNS notification, its still not posted.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Jump to solution

Just became available to me anyway. At least the epo distribution (engmin.zip and engmin64.zip) is available. Still can't see the .exe (32-bit) yet.

I am sure others will see it become available as DNS entries / servers propagate thru the Internet.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 4/24/13 1:01:41 PM EDT
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Does this need to be checked into ePO? The vague documentations doesn't say anything about it. Why can't this be delivered though normal DAT update with-in ePO? This is what irrirates me about ePO, there are so many little updates that aren't documented and in completely different sections of the web site. ePO has the Software Manager, why isn't this used.

Sorry rant over.

Highlighted
Level 13
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

Yup it does, download the zip and then go to menu>software>master repository and load the file here. I have put it in the evulation branch so I can roll it out in test (what branch your updates come from is based on agent policy of course... why make that easy to find).

I agree the worse are hotfixes, suddenly find out there are 2 hotfixes for VSE that you missed.... If they appeared in software center would make my life so much easier! Might head over to the ideas page now and post that.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

>>Why can't this be delivered though normal DAT update with-in ePO?

It will be 90 days from now. Engines are always delivered as optional downloads (RTW) and then followed 90 days later as part of the auto-update content. This gives people who want to test the engine in their environment 90 days to poke at it. If you do nothing it should just flow like a DAT update 90 days later.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community