Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

VSE Doesn't Scan Some File Types

Hey,

I've searched for some documents about file types that vse can't scan.  I have this problem with some file - *.dat :

Other Anti-Viruses found viruses within this file, but mcafee didn't.

We are using vse 8.8 patch 2, and the dat is from this week. What could be the reason that  vse can't detect the virus in the *.dat file, while other Anti-Viruses can?

Thank you and have a nice day !

9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14
Message 2 of 10

Re: VSE Doesn't Scan Some File Types

I think it does, you may open On Demand Sacn Properties and check under SCAN Items>Select >Default+Additional Files types>Here you can see DAT extension as well, but if you want to add any other file type, add here and try scanning, I hope it will work, also selct>Also scan for macros in all files.

Regds.

on 3/12/13 9:05:13 AM CDT
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 10

Thank you, but it still didn't find it... Very strange.

Do you have any other ideas?

And by the way, it works in the On-Access Scan as well? Or only in the On-Demand Scan?

Highlighted
Level 14
Message 4 of 10

Seauser,

Once the file is added with default files toscan, it will also work for On-Access Scan as well, could you attach this file here please, so I could see?

thank you

Regds

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 10

I'm sorry, I can't attach the file, my network in close...

But I scan the file with symantec AV and found the threat: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-101518-4323-99

I didn't find any reference in mcafee on the internet...

What do you think?

Highlighted
Level 14
Message 6 of 10

McAfee Threat Intelligence system gives many varients with this "Downloader". if you think that Mcafee Is not detectiong it you may submit a sample here"

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/search/threat.aspx?q=Downloader&v=malware

http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

Regds

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 10

Thank you, I will search

Highlighted
Level 14
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

if I got you right then "other antiviruses" find the strings of malware in .DATs, and McAfee won't, which I deem normal, since McAfee "knows" or " is supposed to know" not to scan (or not to find viruses in) its own .DAT file full of virus signatures, while "other antiviruses" may handle the file as every other file. Perhaps the first string of such signature refers to a downloader and other antiviruses stop there thinking "enough found".

But is the .DAT you refer to is not any of the McAfee .DAT files, then - and assuming the .DAT file is infected - it might be encrypted in a way that with the current settings VirusScan engine is not able, or not configured, to decrypt before actual scanning.

Attila

Message was edited by: apoling on 27/03/13 14:11:31 CET

on 27/03/13 14:12:29 CET
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

I'ts not a DAT file of mcafee - just file with the file type .DAT.

But thank you very much for your answer!

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 10 of 10

You can also upload it to www.virustotal.com to see which typical Virusscanners will detect it. Mcafee is also there.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community