Did you mean: 
powe
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

VSE AutoUpdate task stops working after upgrading ePO and re-installing MA

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded ePO from 5.3.3 to 5.10.0, with the clients running MA 5.6.1.308 and VSE 8.8.0.2114. The clients still had VSE and agent installed while ePO was being upgraded, and to regain trust with ePO i re-installed MA with the FramePkg.exe generated by ePO. This seems to work with the computers showing in the console as managed.

My problem is that after this, the AutoUpdate task in VSE has stopped working, meaning it doesn't trigger at the specified time (17:00 with 1 hour randomization run if missed at 5 minutes). I've left the system over a weekend but the AutoUpdate never triggered. The weird thing is that if I go in VSE and change the schedule for the task to for example 16:59 it starts working again.

I compared the reg key for the task at Wow6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks before and after I changed schedule and can see that after the schedule change three new values, bUpdateDAT = 1, bUpdateENGINE = 1 and bUpdateOTHER = 1 show up under the task key. Don't know if this is important but it's something I noticed.

Since MA and VSE are still installed while ePO is being upgraded (uninstalled/installed) is it possible that AutoUpdate fails after a while and wont retry again until the task is "reset" by updating the schedule?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
powe
Level 9
Message 3 of 3

Re: VSE AutoUpdate task stops working after upgrading ePO and re-installing MA

Jump to solution

Ended up assigning a update DAT task from ePO instead, couldn't find why the AutoUpdate VSE task wouldn't trigger. This is an offline system and it doesn't receive the correct repositories until MA is installed, so it tries to check the online default repos. It would seem it just breaks and doesn't want to trigger AutoUpdate if it fails contacting a repo at install, even after the correct repos have been received.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
vivs
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hello @powe 

Thanks for your post.

I would suggest you to please check the VSE general policies and MA policies and see everything is correct.

If seems correct and still the option is not working please open a service request with support to get this addressed as soon as possible.

Please don’t go for uninstall or reinstall.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

powe
Level 9
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Ended up assigning a update DAT task from ePO instead, couldn't find why the AutoUpdate VSE task wouldn't trigger. This is an offline system and it doesn't receive the correct repositories until MA is installed, so it tries to check the online default repos. It would seem it just breaks and doesn't want to trigger AutoUpdate if it fails contacting a repo at install, even after the correct repos have been received.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community