We are having an issue with VSE 8.8 and Internet Explorer. When a user opens a URL, with dropdowns or menus they are not active. To fix the issue, run a repair on McAfee 8.8 VSE software, and take the defaults, then uncheck the update and system scan when it has completed. Once this is done IE starts working. Sometime the system will need to be rebooted. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Thanks for your help in advance.
You may be suffering the same problem as I am:
I fixed the IE issues by going to command prompt and typing:
I'm having further problems with the VSE client though once the IE issues have been resolved.
I've contacted our rep in Platinum support, his first suggestion was, could be the script scan component of VSE. We do not have script scan enabled. His next suggestion was to open an SR. I requested our Techs to assign the next ticket to me so I can open the Sr. I'll post what I find.
Thanks Mike.Message was edited by: mrandolp on 1/31/12 4:12:24 PM GMT-06:00
Carlos, sorry for not getting back to you before now. Here's what we did to fix the issue. From a command prompt:
Regsvrjscript.dll, press enter.
Regsvr32vbsscript.dll press enter
Esit the command prompt. Check IE to see if the problem has gone away.
The other item you might want to check, see if Script scan is enabled, if it is disable it and try IE. Our PC Techs before we got the above fix was to do a repair on VSE 8.8.
I would highly recommend downloading patch 2. Patch 2 resolves several issues.