Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 46

Re: VSE 8.8 patch5 bugs

No.

The issue only applies to rules that are designed to block the EXECUTE action.

In your pic you show the prevent mass mailing rule which doesn't require running any programs, so it's not affected.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted
Level 11
Message 32 of 46

Thanks William

Please let Enterprise Support know they are putting out the wrong information.  (At least to me).

Roy

Highlighted
Level 11
Message 33 of 46

Re: Re: VSE 8.8 patch5 bugs

I think the KB needs modified to say which default AP rules are affected by this.

Because reading the Mitigating Factors:

The rule must be enabled to BLOCK; the issue does not occur for Report-only configurations.

The rule must also contain Processes to Exclude.

Reading the above leads me to believe that this would affect the Default AP Rules as some some of them are set to Block and have Processes to Exclude as well.

Roy

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 34 of 46

But they're not designed to block the Execute action.

I'll update the article with the specific rules that can be affected. That's good feedback.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted
Level 11
Message 35 of 46

Thanks William,

Roy

Highlighted

They better reissue Patch 4 so we can downgrade .....  It's been almost 2 months now , our management asked me to look into other vendors because there is no more trust in the service capabilities of McAfee. We have around 11000 pc's.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 46

Paradroid,

something i don't understand if you have this issue.

Rolling back to patch 4 is very easy with client task from your epo. One uninstall task for the p5, in the middle perhaps a cmd execute task for cleaning some files, and then another task for installing P4. no trouble and totally automatic.

i'm managing around 10.000 computers from my ePO's and this patch 5 is still in alpha test on only 50 computers. Best procedure is testing, testing and again testing before such an upgrade. It's a kernel patch so it is necessary to be very careful.

Highlighted

Pmaquoi,

If you read carefully , you see that we use p5 to clean up the TIE hotfix that someone accidentally sent to 6000 PC's.

The TIE hotfix cannot be uninstalled,  therefore we have to install P5 first and that one can be uninstalled. 

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 46

ok sorry for missunderstood

but the solution could be the same i did it a few years ago for almost the same reason. Deleting an incorrect update with 8.7 version

i pushed the 8.8 to update BUT with a desactivated Policy by the way of a server task  immediatly next, a delete operation then installed again the 8.7 version with a correct policy. Perhaps the same mecanism could be use in such a case.

(sorry for my English)

Highlighted

The hotfix uses a very old installer that stops services, copies files and starts services. The version number goes to v1263 , so the windows installer does not recognise the files as being v1247 and leaves them there if you try an uninstall of VSE . Therefore we have to use P5  to go higher in version (v1385).  (ps : P5 wasn't released when the hotfix was rolled out)

Because P5 also has the bug , we uninstall P5 and reinstall P4

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community