cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.8 patch 6 deployed to Windows Server 2003 in error

Jump to solution
Good morning . We have a situation where patch 6 for VSE was accidentally deployed to our legacy Server 2003 SQL cluster. If we restart the server we are likely to see issues with memory leak of non paged memory ( known issue with patch 6 and 2003 ) . We experienced this on another 2003 server previously and even uninstalling VSE and redeploying patch 4 did not fix the issue . Every few weeks the server became unresponsive to RDP and had to be restarted. Does anyone know of a way to completely remove VSE patch 6 from the registry to stop this happening ? We only have these server for approx another 6 months before they are replaced but they are in need of a restart Many thanks Nige
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 deployed to Windows Server 2003 in error

Jump to solution

The reboot after uninstallation should remove all registry keys and drivers. If you wanted to check for leftovers you can search these locations:

----------------

Make a note of any mfe*.sys files that exist in the folder \Windows\System32\Drivers and that belong to McAfee (for example, mfehidk.sys or mfeaack.sys).

CAUTION: If you are uncertain which mfe*.sys files belong to McAfee, view the Company Name column in Explorer or the Details tab in the file Properties.

Delete the McAfee drivers that exist in the folder \Windows\System32\Drivers.
Delete the file \Windows\System32\MFEVTPS.exe.
Delete the folder \Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\.

Delete the following registry data:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mfe... (for each driver you found in the previous step)
HKLM\Software\[Wow6432node\]Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VSE

----------------

Please be aware!

This information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
* Do not run a REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
4 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Nige, without a system restart you can remove VSE with any of these methods: uninstall task via ePO, add/remove programs or uninstall string (found in the registry).

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. I am familiar with those processes to remove VSE but unfortunately in our experience they do not do a complete removal of the software and the issue with memory leak still happens . What i am after is advice on how to manually remove any keys from the registry that are left after the uninstall as i think this is the only way to stop the memory leak ?

Kind regards

Nige

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

The reboot after uninstallation should remove all registry keys and drivers. If you wanted to check for leftovers you can search these locations:

----------------

Make a note of any mfe*.sys files that exist in the folder \Windows\System32\Drivers and that belong to McAfee (for example, mfehidk.sys or mfeaack.sys).

CAUTION: If you are uncertain which mfe*.sys files belong to McAfee, view the Company Name column in Explorer or the Details tab in the file Properties.

Delete the McAfee drivers that exist in the folder \Windows\System32\Drivers.
Delete the file \Windows\System32\MFEVTPS.exe.
Delete the folder \Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\.

Delete the following registry data:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mfe... (for each driver you found in the previous step)
HKLM\Software\[Wow6432node\]Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VSE

----------------

Please be aware!

This information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
* Do not run a REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Perfect thanks chealey. I will follow the steps suggested

Kind regards

Nige

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center