Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

VSE 8.8 patch 14 driver query

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can anybody please confirm if driver 'mfeavfk.sys' is updated as part of VSE 8.8 patch 14 ?

If Yes, can you please point me in the direction of online resources which confirms this (if any).

many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: VSE 8.8 patch 14 driver query

Jump to solution

Hi @ghtr 

mfeavfk.sys is a driver that is part of what we call "SYSCORE". The SYSCORE is our kernel driver set. Each version of VSE will contain an updated version of these drivers. In the release notes you can see the version of SYSCORE that will be installed with VSE 14: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-14-release-notes/resource/prod-virusscan-en... (page 6)

May I ask why you are looking for this information? Is there an issue that we can potentially help you with?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @ghtr 

mfeavfk.sys is a driver that is part of what we call "SYSCORE". The SYSCORE is our kernel driver set. Each version of VSE will contain an updated version of these drivers. In the release notes you can see the version of SYSCORE that will be installed with VSE 14: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-14-release-notes/resource/prod-virusscan-en... (page 6)

May I ask why you are looking for this information? Is there an issue that we can potentially help you with?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for the speed reply!

We have been observing memory leaks in our envirnment and Microsoft have identified 'mfeavfk.sys' (Anti-Virus File System Filter Driver) as the culprit.

We are kean to upgrade to patch 14 but only if the above driver is updated as part of patch 14. I have seen in the release notes that memeory issues have been resolved in patch 14 (VSE-1489) which sounds promising.

many thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Would you mind confirming which version of VSE you currently have installed and are experiencing issues with?

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

VSE 8.8.0.2024

Engine 6000.8403

Patch 12

thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Great, thanks for confirming! Yes, you will definitely benefit from upgrading then. There were a couple of MFE0 tag related memory leaks which have since been addressed.

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Great, thank you for clarifying 

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

@ghtr  To add to the previous post, this is a known issue with the VSE 8.8 Patch 12 which has been fixed with the Patch 13, below is the release note for your reference.

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-13-vse8813rn-release-notes/resource/PD28354...

Reference Number: 1264648

As suggested by my colleague, upgrading to Patch 14 will help you to mitigate the memory leak issue.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community