Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azjazz
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

VSE 8.8 (or, another McAfee AV product) is corrupting program execution

Jump to solution

Hi - I have VSE 8.8 (along with ePO and HIPS) installed on my Windows XP (SP3) work computer.

I run a program called "Android-Sync" to syncronize my MS Outlook information to my Android phone. As part of Android-Sync's normal operation, it invokes the adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) command in a separate Windows process when I connect my phone to the PC via USB.

While Android-Sync mostly works fine, there is a problem being introduced by a McAfee AV product (I'm not sure which one): While Android-Sync and the invoked adb.exe appear to operate properly, the invoked adb.exe command "hangs" and never terminates properly when I disconnect my phone. So each hung instance of adb.exe appears in my WIndows Task Manager, and I manually have to kill each instance whenever I shut down my computer. Sometimes, I have to manually kill 20 or more instances, which takes a lot of time and gets very annoying.

I know that McAfee is involved with this failure in some way. When I uninstalled McAfee temporarily from my computer, each instance of adb.exe was terminated properly when I disconnected my phone.

How do I configure McAfee to allow adb.exe / Android-Sync to operate normally without McAfee blocking some of its operation?

Thanks,

Alan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sathish.l
Level 11
Message 4 of 7

Re: VSE 8.8 (or, another McAfee AV product) is corrupting program execution

Jump to solution

Hi Jazz,

You can add those process names in "Low risk process" under exclusion tab. There you will get read and write options.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bzielin
Level 10
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

see if setting it as a low-risk process and uncheck read and write fixes it.

azjazz
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, bzielin - I'm assuming that the Low-Risk process setting is under the VSE On-Access Scan >> Properties >> General tab, and then I browse for Android-Sync.exe and adb.exe?

Where is the spot in the settings where I uncheck Read and Write at?

Message was edited by: azjazz on 9/27/13 1:11:11 AM CDT
sathish.l
Level 11
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Jazz,

You can add those process names in "Low risk process" under exclusion tab. There you will get read and write options.

View solution in original post

azjazz
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, bzielin and sathish.l - your suggestions were great, and probably would work, but ...

I think I may be skrood.

Whenever I connect my PC back to my work network, my "Exclusion" settings seem to disappear. I think that some work-managed settings overwrite any of my changes.

Am I out of luck?

pato
Level 8
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

No you aren't. Just tell your EPO manager that he should add those exclusions to the globald (company wide) exclusion list, or make a special policy for you.

mgg
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I am surprised it is permitted to make local changes given it 'appears'  to be a centrally managed environment

There is a McAfee tool: McAfee Profiler, that can be used to identify 'AV' activity in relation to the processes and general file-system related I/O - might help confirm.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community