Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 32

Re: VSE 8.8 messes up USB keyboards?

Did you ever find out anything?  We continue to have the problem and now we're seeing it with VSE 8.7 patch 5 (far more frequently than with patch 3).

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 12 of 32

Sorry NO, we are still on 8.7 patch 3. Need to look at this again as we will need to update at sometime.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 32

Thanks.  I'm still waiting for McAfee support to contact me (seems to be par for the course).

In the meantime, I've discovered the following commonalities:

When a machine is having the problem, (so far every machine I've looked at):

The Event Viewer -> System log shows that it starts the network driver and then never proceeds to run the W32Time process.

The Event Viewer -> Application log shows that I get FOUR Dot3Svc logs where it starts the 802.1 Authentication and then the 4th one says that the 802.1X auth succeeded (we do NOT use 802.1 authentication, so how it can succeed I don't know)

Now, when the machine is working properly:

System Log shows it loads network driver and then loads W32Time (and then other stuff)

Application log shows only THREE Dot3Svc entries, the 3rd one is the "started 802.1 authentication) and then I do NOT see the 4th one (auth succeeded)

So I'm GUESSING that for some strange reason if 802.1x auth "succeeds" it breaks something.  Since I know for a fact we have nothing on our network that uses this, I've turned off the 802.1X auth in Windows for the network card on a few machines and we'll see what happens.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 32

802.1x could also be WLAN for bringing up the software/interface.

Please also check for newer WLAN drivers.

Message was edited by: pato on 5/31/12 4:47:53 AM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 32

No wireless on our Desktop Optiplex GX-620 or 745's, and I've verified we are at the latest drivers.

IF this doesn't work, my suspicion then is that it's either the:

mfevtp service

or the

mfehidk.sys driver

Unfortunately McAfee's VSE 8.8 "troubleshooting" guide is atrocious on this:

Step 1:

If it's mveftp then open a support call (yeah that's gone stellar so far)

Step 2:

If it's the mfehidk.sys then open a support call

Step 3:

Remove VSE.  If problem goes away then it's probably related to VSE.

REALLY?  Say it isn't so (step 3). 

Duh!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 32

Well so much for that idea.  Machines continue to have the problem.

I guess I'll have to call McAFee and complain to get this escalated.

Very disappointing that others have the same problem with VSE 8.8 and McFee's been no help at all.

Maybe we need to look at other vendors after this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 32

Got ahold of someone decent at tech support and we have a bunch of things to try now.

Robster--did you guys ever open an SR with McAfee?

I'm asking becauase according to the Tier 3 guys they've never heard of this before, but I was like, "there's 2 other people on the forums with the problem with 8.8 as well"

Thanks!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 18 of 32

Strange, thank you for that, If it works can you update, thanks!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 19 of 32

No to be honest I dont think we did.  We tried so many things that we just gave up and went back to the old version as we were getting so many phone calls. It is a very strange one as it does not happen all all workstations even though a lot camefrom the same image. My plan was to wait for another version to come out and then do department by department rather than everybody like we normally do.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 20 of 32

Robster,

Did you have the problem with JUST Windows XP?  Did you see the issue with Windows 7?

I've had it happen on a relatively clean vmware machine, along with a real machine with little to no extra software on it, so I'm still leaning towards some timing conflict with the mfehidk.sys driver.

Out of curiosity, did/do you guys use the Novell Client 4.91 by any chance?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community