cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

VSE 8.8 install via EPO does not function if there are UNC shares included in the PATH environment

Jump to solution

Installer fails and you get "McafeeVirusScan Enterprise does not function if there are UNC shares included in the PATH environment" as the msi error and message in the windows log. Remove UNC path statements and it works fine.

Does anyone know where this is documented in KB or readmes, I was sure I'd seen it somewhere but now I've actually had a case I can't find it.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VSE 8.8 install via EPO does not function if there are UNC shares included in the PATH environment

Jump to solution

Not had a look at 8.8 - but from a google search its in the beta 1 readme known issues:

http://download.nai.com/products/evaluation/virusscan/version_8.8/readme_ko.html

7 Replies
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 8

Re: VSE 8.8 install via EPO does not function if there are UNC shares included in the PATH environment

Jump to solution

Are you confusing the part in the readme where it is commented that OAS exemptions on network drives shouldn't be used as drive letters, but instead as UNC paths? I don't recall seeing the issue above ever noted in a readme or KC etc.

This restriction could have something to do with various DLL attacks that have been discovered in previous times, and sounds like a safety mechanism.

Jump to solution

Not had a look at 8.8 - but from a google search its in the beta 1 readme known issues:

http://download.nai.com/products/evaluation/virusscan/version_8.8/readme_ko.html

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

jmcleish wrote:

Interesting. Must have been dropped from the release notes in later betas and the final product.... Beta 1 was a long time ago!

tonyb99
Level 13
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Knew I'd seen it somewhere, pity it still seems to be applicable.

looks like I won't be rolling 8.8 any time soon then as I'm sure we have hundreds if not thousands of machines with UNC paths in the path statement just off 2 of our hundreds of apps.

oh well roll on patch 1

Highlighted
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

tonyb99 wrote:

oh well roll on patch 1

If it's done for the reason I expect (to prevent DLL injection via UNC path hijacking) then you are unlikely to see it fixed... It's actually quite dangerous. Have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2269637.mspx - I believe this is one of the causes of the vulnerabilty in VSE 8.5 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=SB10013) .

So I can see why McAfee won't play with risky paths as it can't control what is on them.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919712%28VS.85%29.aspx

When an application dynamically loads a dynamic-link library without
specifying a fully qualified path name, Windows attempts to locate the
DLL by searching a well-defined set of directories in a particular
order, as described in Dynamic-Link Library Search Order.
  If an attacker gains control of one of the directories on the DLL
search path, it can place a malicious copy of the DLL in that directory.
This is sometimes called a DLL preloading attack or a binary planting attack.
  If the system does not find a legitimate copy of the DLL before it
searches the compromised directory, it loads the malicious DLL.  If the
application is running with administrator privileges, the attacker may
succeed in local privilege elevation.

For example, suppose an application is designed to load a DLL from
the user's current directory and fail gracefully if the DLL is not
found. The application calls LoadLibrary
with just the name of the DLL, which causes the system to search for
the DLL.  Assuming safe DLL search mode is enabled and the application
is not using an alternate search order, the system searches directories
in the following order:

1. The directory from which the application loaded.
  2. The system directory.
  3. The 16-bit system directory.
  4. The Windows directory.
  5. The current directory.
  6. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 25/01/11 7:33:25 AM
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I can see their point...

but it will be interesting to see how they sell Mcafee 8.8 to the education and local gov environment with that kind of restriction, buy our great software that you wont be able to install without getting 2/3rds of your legacy suppliers to rewrite their software packages (half of whom probably no longer exist) that isn't going to do anything for my TCO.

I predict a minimum of  6 months for an opt out option involving a MID package alteration.

asker
Level 7
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the point. I did in a computer with XP and after in a computer with 7. In the second I didn't find any reason why it doesn't installed. I erase the UNC shares and installed the product from ePO correctly. After I added again the UNC shares.

I'll try to see the performance of the VSE 8.8 and I'll post it.

Thanks again

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community